SitePro

I was actually asked to post here, I guess not so much, now. Glad to finally find the introduction board.

I started out as an artist looking to show-off my portfolio on the web in 1996. My college information systems manager liked what I did and gave me more stuff to do. I wound-up starting a website design business then following year (even though that's what I was already doing as a freelancer) and immediately added web hosting capabilities.

Soon, I needed to add domain name registration capabilities, because Network Solutions was jerking me around, giving me the royal screw. It took great exception to that, these were my brand names, and so I created better solutions. Not just one, mind you, but I partnered with several companies to offer a variety of different solutions, because many of my clientele and my peer designers needed vastly different solutions with much different priorities.

As I am an accomplished graphic designer, knew Unix/Linux & some programming, website design, site development & web hosting were all kind of natural progressions for me and for my business. The tough part of the journey is and always has been online marketing and website search optimization, although, perhaps not for the reasons you might suspect. You see, I believe you can do both well without being evil. And yet, Google has proven that it cannot avoid being evil.

So, don't ask me about any of the black-hat marketing or SEO routines. These are 'bullying' tactics often used by 'guerilla marketing' tactics that I know are evil and quite stupid. I mean, I know common sense is difficult to apply when we think of technology, but if we consider the future and where we are going, it is quite necessary to do so. In the end, such tactics only hurt your efforts, usually not just in the long-term, but quickly, as well.

All that said, I am only now learning the smart-phone app development side of things. That is where there is all sorts of need & growth, if you are interested, but it does bode well to know CSS & HTML (possibly some Javascript and other logic programming languages as well), when you start down that road.

However, I also take advantage of all the tools at my disposal, and there are so many good web design builder apps out there, that I feel that the web is actually creeping out of the caveman era, now. These tools are available to all, and some are even free! That, and my experience is what I hope to share to help and encourage others along what was a very difficult path for me.

We need to stick together and share what we know to keep the internet a safe and decent place to hang-out, especially in these times when everyone really needs to be online as the pandemic refuses to go away (here in the US, due to lack of leadership).

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
It was really a long introduction from you, I see that you have great knowledge online and it is great to meet you on this awesome forum, looking forward to seeing you around and reading your posts.

Marc.

SitePro

Cool. Thanks.

I just figured that is people are going to take any advice from me, they may want to know my experience.

I was even a customer support tech at Gateway 2000 before they started falling apart and left town.

I sort of taught myself search optimization, but did really well with it.

I still need 1 foreign language class, but if I can take it and pass, or test out, I get my Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. Though, I might then try for a Master's Degree if I ever get that done, but there is so little time in today's world.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies