What is "Social Media"

hoangvu

Have all of us ever heard of " Social Media "or" Social Bookmarking "? I think 75% of the readers here ever heard of. But I think a small part of it knows what the term "Social Media" really means. These people will probably have a boring piece. But for the people who hardly know what Social Media is an educational piece.

"Social Media" is a literal translation of "Social Media". If you literally translated, means of course nothing. But when you "from a distance" to look, you will perhaps understand what it means. If you do not understand, then read on.

To understand what Social Media means we can best first distinguish between "Social Media" call new social media and old media (normal media). To begin, look around you and observe what old media there are around you. Normally the list of old media look something like this:

- Magazines
- Newspapers
- Book
- Catalogues
- Photos
- Television
- Radio
- CDs
- DVDs
- Blue Ray's
- And so on.

These are examples of old media. The striking here is that it is all one way traffic goes. Information, education or entertainment is all on your side sent. Except that with your friends and family watching television or listening to music, social issue here is nothing going on.

With new media (Social Media) is different. Here it's all about socializing with the environment in which you are located. Examples of new media (Social Media) include:

Blogs (WordPress, TypePad, Blogger, Tumblr, etc)
Micro Blogs ( Twitter , Jaiku, Plurk, Pownce, etc)
Friends networks (Also called Social Networking, Hyves, Facebook, MySpace etc)
News sites (NuJIJ, Reddit, Digg, linkedin, etc)
Wikis (Wikipedia)
Videos (YouTube, Vimeo)
Photos (Flickr, Picasa)

These are examples of new media (Social Media). When I look at this list, drop me, and I hope you too, 2 things. And those are:

1. They are mainly American companies and organizations that focus on new media (Social Media).
2. If you know these companies and organizations, you'll know that it's all about communication from several sides go.

Where in the old media one way to go, is new media movement of several important aspects. When you write an article on a blog, do you expect people to react, creating a single conversation or discussion arises. When you participate in a wiki, you expect that other people also participate, creating a wiki arises that possible accurate information displays. For friends networks is the same. This share your stories, photos, music or do something even with your friends.

As you can see it is in new media just to socialize with other people, be it your friends or people you've never seen or spoken to, therefore it is also called "Social" media called.

When you summarize everything is a collective name for Social Media Media 2.0. Instead of the traffic one way to send, go to the Social Media for sending traffic to tens, hundreds and in some cases even millions of edges.

This is my definition of Social Media. What would your definition be?

kurt harris

According to me social media is a marketing tool that lets you know your customers, increases interaction with customers, and in turn increases traffic to your website.

fastreplies

fastreplies
Wrong.
Social Media is NOT a marketing tool but rather self-sustained communication platform

:)

fastreplies

Last edited:

bob

bob
Social Media might not be a marketing tool but it's a marketing channel for internet marketers now promoting out there :violent:

:D

fastreplies

fastreplies
Do you know anything or you so dumb that even dead squirrel know more than you are?

Are you saying that marketing works only as "channel for internet marketers"?
What about if my business is local and I don't use Internet but local media only?

Bob, are you sucker for punishment?

:rolleyes:

fastreplies

mostafakamal81

Hallow,
Social Media is the future of communication, a countless array of internet based tools and platforms that increase and enhance the sharing of daily information.

Chas P. Gibson

Social media is the best way to promote your organization/product or any things which you think ,must be spread on the web.Its not only attracting people on your site,but generating a good revenue too and helping your site to be in a good rank with other competitor.

William

William
Completely agree with you and avoiding social media is like crushing your web personality, which help you to grab highly attention of users and search engines too.

RonaldGaray

Social media gives very good platform to put our thoughts, feeling and other lots of activities among our friends which I think is a very good stress buster and apart from this it gives us a good opportunity to earn money from home. What we expect beyond this?

Chas P. Gibson

Have you heard about face-book, have you heard about twitter? According to me if you will use them in SEO you will say you are using social media. And think if you will share your website through twitter and your friends will share it again and their friends so this chain can bring a lot of traffic for you.

rohanjain

Facebook is popular of all. Pinterest holds much attention of female users. LinkedIn is used by most of the college graduates. Twitter is also popular among younger adults. Other sites are YouTube, Google+, Reddit, Tumbler, Vine

aratiseo

In Internet explore world , Social media Like Face Book and Google+ became important part of life.
For Communication and share thoughts and find solution of problems and marketing , Social media is best.

fastreplies

Normally the list of old media look something like this:

- Magazines
- Newspapers
- Book
- Catalogues
- Photos
- Television
- Radio
- CDs
- DVDs
- Blue Ray's
- And so on.
You forgot
- Classifieds
- Lists (like Graig)
- Podcast
- Flyers
- Networking (online and off)

:)

fastreplies

Last edited by a moderator:

prolimehost

Social media is the social interaction among people in which they create, share or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks.
and if you are ignoring social media, then you are spoiling your personality as this is the future of communication.

DavidYFoster

The best way to know social media is to break it down. Media is an instrument on communication, like a newspaper, so social media would be a social instrument of communication. Think of regular media as a one-way street where you can read a newspaper, but you have very limited ability to give your thoughts on the matter. Social media, on the other hand, is a two-way process that gives you the ability to communicate too.

annasmith

Social Media means websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

seopratyush

@fastreplies you rock man... While scrolling down the page I though I would see any new definition of "Social Media" but gone to a different topic.. lolz..

Well as far as I think we are in the world of Web 3.0 and soon it will be transformed into Web 4.0 where there would be intelligent means of communication.

Alawi

@fastreplies you are so rude but in the right place to slap those people that doesn't have common sense or didn't know what actually they are saying in this thread :think:

We usually use social media as a medium to build relationship with our targeted audience :tam:

Kristy Williams

Hi all,

According to me social media is an interaction among the people who are connected to social media sites like Facebook,twitter and linked in etc and they used to share views about something which they exactly know nothing but making interactions.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.