Baby-steps to start career in Graphic Design

UmairHussain

I'm gonna honest with Y'all. I'm 25 and will be 26 this May, I've chosen my career of SEO/Digital Marketing but deep down I was always an Art-type guy (would love to draw and design).
As days passed, I studied BSCS and graduated and jumped into the Digital Marketing field, I'm very much enjoying it but I also want to restart my passion for Art and this time want to play with it digitally.

So, are there any good tips regarding starting my art digitally like going for Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop or to buy any good graphic tablets? Any suggestions will be good for me. Thanks1

sonnyside

Best answer
Hey Umair,

Art is good for you. They go hand-in-hand with digital marketing. I'm a designer myself and also have some bit of here and there in SEO. So, I can give you a bit of a tips.

For the software, you gotta go both Illustrator and Photoshop. They work well with each other. Let me highlight some pointers. You use photoshop to edit an existing image. For illustrator, you use it to create new image. Say flyers. You'd want to use Illustrator instead of photoshop. Illustrator creates the visual in vector. So, no matter how you scale it, the quality is the same. That's why it's the choice to go for when you want to design for prints. For Photoshop, it's for retouching and all those manipulation of photos or an existing image. It is less recommended to create print files with it because if you scale it, it loses it's quality.

A graphic designer needs to know both of these. After that, there's InDesign. You can create booklets with it and also vouchers where you need the running serial number. Photoshop and Illustrator can't do the serial numbering thing automatically.

As industry demands, you might find yourself doing more than just designing. Bosses tend to think that we can do video editing, animation and more...

Anyway, for the learning part, you can go to Youtube. It's free and it has basic to advanced tutorials. Just find some good Youtubers to follow. Go through them and do it for your friends to make it fun. Keep going, don't be discouraged. You're not alone. There's a few more buddies of mine that don't go to art school but still do designing job. One of them is doing bank job but he's doing freelance graphic design on the side. It's not exactly an uncommon thing - being a designer on the side.

Good luck!

thomsonkaren

Would you like to try your hand at graphic design? I never would have even thought that I would work as a graphic designer. I am 29 years old and for the last six months, I am happy every day when I go to work. This has never happened in my life. I started my career in graphics design with the simplest templates and layouts that I used to create a design for my friend's blog. I liked it so much that I decided to sign up for graphic design courses. Now I finally feel like I've found my life's work. I wish everyone to find their life's work.

Reactions: UmairHussain

UmairHussain

UmairHussain
Thank you Thomson, I really love that you have landed on your favorite job. Can you please suggest to me some steps or suggestions or any of your favorite channels you have been following for graphic design? that would be great if you can share some.
Thank you

thomsonkaren

thomsonkaren
Pay attention to udemy and pluralsight courses. As far as I know, they are free in April, so do not miss your chance. In general, you can find many different graphics design courses on the Internet. Some courses even give you the opportunity to get a job after you finish them. I think this is a great idea for those who immediately want to start working and not waste time. So look for something suitable in Google. I'm sure it won't take you long. I hope I was able to help you at least a little!

conivalcheese

Oh! That's nice that you know your passion. Anyway, you might want to browse Udemy website. They offer variety of courses and their rating is good. Its very useful actually.

bijutoha

So, are there any good tips regarding starting my art digitally like going for Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop or to buy any good graphic tablets? Any suggestions will be good for me. Thanks1
It's also an inspirational lesson for me, where I've seen my future. I began drawing with hands, now running digitally. I used several tools in my fighting at the beginning of time, and I'm currently happy with some tools. Like these...

For the drawing, I picked Wacom. I've got Wacom Intuos Pro right now.

Screenshot_3.png

On the other side, I have a picture editing tool, Photoshop, but I'd recommend Photopea if you're interested in the free edition. You can try to look at a brief article on this, maybe it would be helpful. https://epho.mystrikingly.com/blog/free-image-editing-program-suggested
IMO, there is no contrast with Illustrator if you choose to deal with vectors. However, you can also see the alternate free option in the initial level.

I have even learnt to rediscover myself using Cinema 4D on my list of favourites in the field of 3D modelling.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg

Motion graphics is one of my addictions, so I've added After Effect to my to-do list.

AstrewqStevenos

It’s so greatthat you want to follow your passion. Actually, design and digital marketing aremuch more related than they may seem at first.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.