Does a Dedicated Server help with increasing website speed?

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
My enterprise's still not satisfying with some VPS that we are using now because we need fast loading speed for websites, I would like to know a Dedicated Server will help with increasing site speed, just compared with VPS?

Thanks
S.S

ElixantTechnology

A dedicated server will make a huge difference in comparison to any VPS platform, as you are completely guaranteed the resources that you are provided with. A big issue with virtualization is that the provider is capable of overselling the resources. As an example, the provider might be running on a 24 core system with 64 gigabytes of ram, however, the provider has allocated 33 cores and 72 gigabytes of ram to its users. There are so many numbers to consider.

There are a lot of factors as well when it comes to how fast your website is loading, etc. I would probably recommend a managed dedicated server from a provider that offers complete management, including assistance with making sure your platform is optimized.

Reactions: rwsorensen

brentpresley

brentpresley
This is a drastic over-simplification. DRASTIC.

What if you are the only customer on that node, and you are taking up all the resources?

Better question: what if you need more resources than a single Dedicated or Cloud server can provide? Then something like Cloud Clustering would absolutely destroy the performance you are able to get from a single dedicated server. Throw 4 web servers and two DB servers behind a load-balanced gateway and you can handle far far more traffic than a single (even beefy) dedicated server can go with. Here is a perfect example of what we have been able to accommodate in the past:
[URLnf=http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/7/prweb10947557.htm]http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/7/prweb10947557.htm[/URLnf]

Another KEY consideration you should ask yourself is this: how optimized is my code and my server setup?

I've seen 1GB RAM Cloud Servers with well-optimized code run circles around the number of users and page hits they could handle compared to un-optimized setups running 32GB or more. A good managed host can help you on the server side of things to get your server tuned the best, but you still need a good website developer that can help you properly code your site or application for best performance.

TSOHost - Akin

To bring this thread back on topic of Does a Dedicated Server help with increasing website speed (VPS vs Dedicated) the answer to your question is yes.

Presuming you are using a reputable host that does not oversell resources on the virtualiaztion platform that they are using, the other thing that you need to think about is that whatever resources you have been allocate, a tiny portion of this is used to run the virtualiaztion software and VPS itself. This means, that even if you had a VPS and Dedicated Server with the same number of CPU cores, RAM, HDDs, RAID, network speed, etc. your site would run faster on the Dedicated Server without a doubt.

buzybee-kevin

The biggest benefit with a fully dedicated server is that you have full access to RAM, DISK IO and CPU cores/ threads. The CPU cores are not virtualized there is no hyper-visor in between the two using sharing resources.

So you can get more done with a lesser CPU on a dedicated server then a high end virtualized CPU on a VPS.

As far as a dedicated server making your web site faster is a slipper slope. Yes it is capable of making your website faster. But then you need to look at how efficient your current website is utilizing resources and how your current server is configured. These issues make such a huge impact on the performance of a website.

Sometimes throwing hardware at a slow website is a wast of money and then sometimes it is not.

brentpresley

The loss of performance to virtualization is very minimal in most cases, and the benefits (like live-migration to a new piece of hardware, redundancy, etc.) far out weight the 1-2% performance loss you get on a modern hypervisor like KVM.

Only Windows servers still take a big hit on virtualization.

ElixantTechnology

@brentpresly it really depends on how the host has things configured. Some will just throw OpenVZ or Xen on a node, pack it as full as it can and then setup new nodes as needed. Sure, going with a corporate level cloud provider with a proven track record for redundancy and reliability is great, but not everybody can afford to fork out the money to do so.

When it comes down to choosing between a VPS and a Dedicated Server from your run of the mill hosting provider, then yes, a Dedicated Server will under most circumstances out-perform a virtual server. When your jumping into the cloud using services such as Amazon and Rackspace and you're willing to throw down hundreds to thousands of dollars a month to run your website rather than spending a fraction of the price for the same amount of power if not more in exchange for reliability that most people won't ever require, great, power to you.

Cost, Benefits and Quantity really weigh in when someone decides to choose a hosting provider. For example, if someone can purchase a server with the following specs:

12 Core CPU w/HT (24 Threads)
24 GB DDR3 RAM
2TB Storage
1Gbps Uplink
20TB Transfer
Fully Managed w/ cPanel/WHM
100% Uptime Guarantee backed by SLA

For only $184 per month in comparison to:

6 vCPUs
15GB Memory
620GB Storage
800Mb/s Network
Unmanaged
100% Uptime Guarantee with SLA

For $0.90 per hour ($648 per month) PLUS $0.12 PER GB of Bandwidth;

The customer is going to take the first option. As a provider I've dabbled with both technologies, and it boils down to the fact that I see no real difference in the reliability of systems in the Cloud vs Dedicated Hardware. Actually, funny story, I have a piece of equipment in a Datacenter that has been online 100% of the time over the last 3 years running full bore without any issues whatsoever, versus a couple instances with Cloud providers scattered over the globe for DNS that have had onlu 99.7% uptime over the last 2 years with numerous outages and reboots for updates/patches/migrations/etc.

In the end, you will see better performance from a Dedicated Server than you will from the Cloud or from a VPS, as you are eliminating not only the virtualization layer, but the stress that the system is under from the other tennants on the system. As long as everything is maintained and configured accurately, you will see the same, if not better reliability than you would if your were to host in the cloud or a VPS.

Reactions: Shirley_Sharp

brentpresley

brentpresley
I could not DISAGREE with this statement more.

You obviously do not cater to Enterprise clients, because those clients would not tolerate the downtime you would experience on a Dedicated Server for something as simple as a bad RAM module, PSU failure, or bad HDD/SSD.

We literally have clients calling us when there is 5 seconds or more downtime for a service. That's the level of sensitivity of Enterprise clients.

For those Clients, a redundant application built on Cloud is the only way to guarantee uptime. No dedicated server will do, not even the best of them.

TSOHost - Akin

TSOHost - Akin
It's always good to hear different people's opinions but rather than get into a public argument or try to show off the infrastructure of your individual platform we should try to remain calm and on topic.

The OP is discussing a single Dedicated Server vs a single VPS. Yes, we all know that Private Cloud Clusters can offer increased uptime and resilience but that is not what is being asked here.

With regards to what you and ElixantTechnology are discussing I would say you are both right. A single dedicated server cannot offer 100% uptime in most cases (although the server may still have power, network, resources, etc). A private cluster of Dedicated servers can solve this but for an enterprise customer they would still not want any other users to be on that cluster so they would be effectively be ordering multiple Dedicated Servers form you and configuring them as they wish.... not going for a standard Shared Cloud Platform

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
Good way of putting things and I do appreciate your input!! The thread has gotten greatly off topic with the introduction of Cloud Computing. I understand that Cloud Computing can be very beneficial in certian circumstances, however in others I find that it is completely un-necessary. You can have redundancy with dedicated infrastructure as you can with the cloud, I just find the whole cloud industry is taking advantage of the sudden surge of popularity since Apple introduced iCloud and Amazon introduced AWS to shove the cloud in people's faces, forgetting the roots that the entire industry stemmed from.

Hostname.club

From my research when we have the same RAMs/CPU for both VPS and Dedicated Server, a Dedicated server can use up to 100% resources while VPS hits around 80-90% only. :)

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
Sometimes even less! Especially if the VPS is under OpenVZ. I've ran some benchmarks with quite a few providers, and I've seen things start to go wonky at only 62%. Dedicated hardware is the way to go ;)

Hostname.club

Hostname.club
So crazy! 62% for performance is bad thing I never ever seen. lol.
That's why we should install cPanel on dedicated server more than on virtual private server even if a license will be cheaper a little.

ElixantTechnology

62% isn't so outrageous. As I think I mentioned before, a lot of providers will oversell their resources so they can turn a profit, only hoping that each VPS does not use their full assigned resources. So with a 12 core / 24GB Ram system the provider might sell 24 cores / 48GB Ram and it work just fine (as most will not use the full resources). However, once someone comes in to try and use the resources, because the system is oversold, they are not able to do so.

Hostname.club

Our company uses two SAN for switching between system when outage. It seems ok more than a single dedicated server. Even if you build with RAID-10 a hard drive can be crash :(

A Real Cloud Storage should be build from multiple locations, right?

brentpresley

You need redundancy at all levels, at least in our opinion, to be considered True Cloud.

* Redundant networking (multiple providers, multiple access points to the building(s), dual networking to each cloud node so that if a switch dies your clients don't see a problem, etc.).

* Redundancy in storage (SAN failover, if you use a distributed SAN then it needs to have a failover and data redundancy mechanism built in, etc.)

Multiple datacenters are not technically required for a Cloud provider, but it is a nice feather in your cap to be able to offer your clients and give them peace of mind.

ElixantTechnology

@brentpresley, if you had read through the discussion in it's entirety you will notice that I was not comparing whether or not to choose a Dedicated over Cloud, I was discussing whether or not to choose Dedicated over VPS. The two products are completely different in a whole, and that is what this thread was intended to discuss in the first place.

Great, you handle enterprise customers, good on you :clap:

Your speaking as if Dedicated Servers were the worst solutions that the internet has had to offer, you also need to consider that a vast majority of websites, even enterprises, use dedicated infrastructure without any issues whatsoever and have been doing so for many years. Cloud Computing is still new in terms of the internet and has only really started to baloon over the past 3-4 years.

You jump to conclusions and panic about bad RAM, PSUs, Hard Drives... Sure, this happens all the time, woo hoo, it's going to happen in the cloud as well. I think it's great that your customers complain over as little as 5 seconds of downtime, unfortunately your customers have seen this 5 seconds of downtime.

When dealing with enterprise customers being sold on redundancy that they can deploy on their own using dedicated hardware with the proper configuration at a cost three to five times more than they would normally spend, and they can afford to do so, great let them run around in the "cloud".

It's very rare that you're going to come across faulty equipment, that is why you run proper diagnostics and keep track of things. In the last 10 years I have had to deal with 5 bad sticks of ram, 2 harddrives with crashed heads, 38 corrupt SSD Drives and one motherboard with a blown capacitor. This happens, but not often at all. Even still, notice a pattern?

In the end, cool, the Cloud is great, but just because it's great for multi-million dollar clients, doesn't mean that it is for everybody else.

As I said previously, through my experience I have seen less reliability in the cloud than I have with any other system availible.

ellys

My enterprise's still not satisfying with some VPS that we are using now because we need fast loading speed for websites, I would like to know a Dedicated Server will help with increasing site speed, just compared with VPS?

Thanks
S.S
different what kind site you had. If just website with less video or data need request to database first. that more to the your webpage size and your connection speed.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.