Why NOT to host your websites from home!

ElixantTechnology

I hear this a lot from people online, who are looking to save a couple of dollars or not willing to put their trust into a service provider. A lot of people these days consider running home based Data Centers, utilizing a residential internet conneciton with residential electricity. For those of you who are considering an option like this, you may want to re-think your strategy.

First off, let me mention that 99% of Residential ISPs prohibit running servers on their Residential/Business DSL/Cable/Fake-Fiber lines, and rightfully so. The average datacenter will have numerous backbone providers sending fiber into the Datacenter, which is then divided accordingly throughout the network. Most Residential/Business providers will have 1-2 fiber strands going to a city or sector of a city, to a centralized building. Then, that network gets distributed to neighbourhoods within a 5km radius. Once in the neighborhood, the line (usually copper at this point) is then split again to be sent to corresponding streets. Guess what happens next? That's right, it gets split AGAIN to be ran to each and every individual household on said street.

Most of these links are around 10Gbit when they enter the city, then split into 1Gbit links and so on. Now, taking into consideration you more than likely have one modem in your home that connects your servers, your computers and other devices to the internet. Say your server was to be hacked, the attacker now has access to your home network and will be able to access your computer and gain control over any financial access that you may have on said system.

Next, the average DDoS Attack is metered at more than 100Gbps, while your internet connection I am guessing is far less than 1Gbps. Did you know that if you run a 100Gbps attack against a convential internet modem there is a chance that it will overheat and catch fire? That's not even taking into consideration that the attack will knock out most local customers of your ISP due to the way that residential networks are routed. The worst part about all of this however, is the fact that your ISP can charge you criminally for violating their Acceptable Use Policy and damaging any networks/systems that you are paying to access.

Another issue would be power. You want to make sure that there is a steady full-time current going to your server, and during peak hours (as traffic grows) your server will utilize more and more power. Some people will see a 200-300$ increase on their power bills just having one server running. Now, during this peak time, when your server is using so much power, say you were to turn on your Microwave. Not only do you not have static shielding in your home, but the microwave will make a grab for power, starving your server and possibly causing it to crash.

All of this is taking into consideration that you may have a Diesel Generator, UPS Backup Systems and ECC-Certified Server-Grade hardware.

Basically what I am trying to say, is that it's not that good of an idea to be running servers out of your house. Datacenters utilize extremely fast internet connections, redundant utility connections, battery backups/UPS, giant HVAC/Cooling systems, around the clock security... And best of all, they are built specifically to host servers.

readme

Sorry but I am also hearing this from you only. I dont think people host their website at home. As first we need to run the pc 24 hours, and we need to care about security, maintenance and all other things. And its not the easy task.

CoMBoZo

If you are going to host your website on your home you can go and create your datacenter too :D It's very good idea but i think it's better to host your website with online providers to save your time on resolving pc issue or internet issues ... etc

Randhal007

I think only a fool would want to operate your pc 24 hours a day to make the host for his website. because in addition to require a big budget, also need care not a bit

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
You'd be surprised that there are a lot more home-based data centers out there than you actually would expect. A lot of people aren't very trusting of utilizing a provider, or have too much pride thinking that it would be more logical or cost effective for them to take care of everything themselves. I do admit, some people do know what they are doing and are capable and have the means of running a home data center, however, that is not the case for the majority of those people.

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.