How to secure your VPS/Server?

Epic

I just moved my sites from a shared hosting environment to a VPS, and I am looking to secure it, although I did not do it before, I would like to do it myself and would like know the best procedures to do it.

Hassan

Tips for secure your vps/server below:

1. Firewal
Install a firewall on your vps/server to have control on the ports you use such as HTTP, SMTP, IMAP/POP3.

2. MySQL
Disable the local infile function, Add the following line to your /etc/my.cnf file under the [mysqld] section, and restart MySQL
Code:
local-infile = 0
3. PHP
Disable PHP functions in php.ini, via a line such as "disable_functions=show_source, system, shell_exec, passthru, exec, phpinfo, popen, proc_open, ini_set.

4. SSH
Change SSH port by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restarting the SSH service.Only allow SSH protocol 2.

5. Daily Backups
Make backups daily so that in case anyting goes wrong you have the backup to restore.

ElixantTechnology

Are you utilizing cPanel Control Panel on said VPS? There are 10,000,000,000,000 different ways to secure a server, and another million things to consider as well. It all depends on your configuration and preference as to what methods are to be used. One thing you need to understand is that there is no sure-fire bulletproof way of securing your server, as it is impossible to have your server 100% secure (unless it's not connected to the internet ;)). Give us some more information, and I am sure I can give some real good pointers.

With more than 11 years of experience in systems administration, feel free to pick my brain.

digitalConnect

I just moved my sites from a shared hosting environment to a VPS, and I am looking to secure it, although I did not do it before, I would like to do it myself and would like know the best procedures to do it.
you can go for sitelock security to protect your websites from hacking, google blacklist, etc & also you can go for codeguard to secure your website from loss & auto backup everyday, etc.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.