Is it possible to learn coding in 2 months?

Mike001

tbobker,

Interesting comments, don't bother with tutorials, but then learn the functionality a step at a time. Did you even reread that statement.

Learning programming in a shotgun approach, and that tbobker is what you have described whether you know it or not, is probably the worst way to approach learning programming. Now, since we are all different, and learn in different ways, it may work for a few people, but very few.

Programming is very structured and there are no grey areas. Everything is black and white, 1's and 0's.

You will not grasp programming fundamentals learning in the way that you describe, you will not grasp "Best Practices", or proper procedural coding principles by trying to learn that way. And in order to be good and efficient in OOP (Object Orientated Programming) , which all languages are moving too, you need a solid background in Procedural Coding fundamentals.

To learn programming efficiently and effectively you need to build a solid foundation in programming principles. From that you can learn most any programming language. Once the foundation is solid, learning programming languages become relatively easy.

There are very few if any shortcuts to building the foundation.

Mike001

Victoris,

There are many factors as to where you can begin. Age plays a role, your educational background plays a role, what you as an individual tend to excel in, plays a role. All of these factors will have a bearing on how you begin your journey to learn programming.

I am not just talking off the cuff, I am a professional programmer, have developed hundreds of commercial apps and websites, program managed country and state wide deployments of Public Safety communications system both hardware and software, and currently teach web engineering and development at a University.

So where you begin can depend on you. Are you good at self learning or do you need individual instruction on concepts? Do you grasp math quickly, do you understand the core principles of procedural instructions?

If you give me a little background, and tell me what you are trying to accomplish, I may be able to point you in the right direction to begin. You can PM me on the site if you would rather not put that information out in the forum, which I completely understand.

Learning programming is not that hard if you really want to learn it. But taking the approach described by TB above will lead to a tremendous amount of frustration and you will probably just give up.

victoris

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this informative post.
You scare me by the remark, "Do you grasp math quickly."
Is this absolutely necessary?

I wish to learn programming (C, C#, C++. Python) so as to complete common tasks on a freelance site I often visit.

Mike001

It really depends what you want to do as to hoe important Math is.

If you wish to learn game development and animation, then math can be quite important. If you are wanting to develop websites, than not so much.

Obviously understanding Math is important in most aspects of programming. After-all most everything in programming is based on calculations of some sort.

Learning C, or the variations of C is a great start. It is the core of many applications and development platforms. Don't let the math scare you, it will come to you the more you practice the language.

You will do fine. Just put your mind to it and there is nothing that you can not accomplish if you really want to. Some of the best programmers I know have come from some of the poorest school districts. They were just determined to learn it and so they did.

Claire_Anderson

Yes you can learn to code in 2 months but you need to work hard because there are many things that you need to learn. Learning HTML and CSS is compulsory for every developer, but it is also easier to learn. PHP is also an easy language that you can use to create dynamic web pages. You can learn these languages from lynda, udemy and w3school websites.

TrafficDues

Yes, It's Possible
Have a look at treehouse, You can get your first month for free, actually i read a lot of inspiring stories about people who started coding apps after just couple of months !!
so you wont lose anything, try it, may it help you:neutral:

EpicGlobalWeb

JS and PHP fundamentally are pretty easy. I started with C++ and that's actually a very difficult language to me. What's not taught a lot in assessing difficulty is to start with your goal and why you want to code. The reason I say this is because there are often a ton of libraries and extensions to languages such as javascript and php, like jQuery and Magneto for instance. You often end up specializing in one or two platforms. So it's best to know what industry you want to work in as well as if you're doing it for money or not (like me :p).

I went to school at RIT with the guy who made jQuery. That kind of coder is something else - they see life in code. It's amazing.

Last edited:
Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.