Is it worth it to start a graphic design business online?

hoangvu

Hi,

Are you guys in graphic design field? what do you think it is worth it to start a graphic design business online?

I want to learn graphic design because I saw this service are popular on fiverr, seoclerks and other graphic marketplaces...etc..where they are earning good money, right?

bijutoha

No it is not, It is easy. I think you've a target, So now you can do it. Since you're still a learner, Therefore, you should know well about it, First. I hope you read my mind.

Steve32

Steve32
If I am not wrong...seem you are a graphic designer?
What are the first steps to succeed in this field, good design skills, more graphic marketplaces or a good website with a good portfolio?

samimnoorzaitgc

Forget about it fiverr and others similar to it. I see no success with fiverr. If you want to earn with graphic designing, try to build website themes and designs and sell them, you will need:
1- A website
2- A domain
3- A SEO consultant (or learn it by yourself)
Then start selling your own stuff! Hope it helps. Good luck! :)

DavidFeldman

what do you think it is worth it to start a graphic design business online?
First thing is you need talent for design and a desire to do it. :)

I want to learn graphic design because I saw this service are popular on fiverr, seoclerks and other graphic marketplaces...etc..where they are earning good money, right?
That depends on where you live. Most outsourcing and groupsourcing etc. sites pay well for third-world type of countries, but not so well for first-word type of economies.

TellMeAboutIt

It's absolutely worthwhile. More companies than ever are looking to outsource graphic design work. It's an artistic niche that a lot of straight-laced business prudes don't really delve into. But they'll happily pay you for it.

Look at some different certifications if you want to corral more clientele. I recommend Rapid Business Freelancer certification because it's free lol. But there are MANY out there being recognized by Canadian employers.

rfharris

Yes, why not? There are massive opportunities available for graphic designers online and it is without any doubt one of the hottest professions to choose at the moment. More and more industries are now using different kinds of graphics in various forms which is increasing the need of graphic designers constantly.

ericplotz1

You can start any business if you apply yourself day and night. If you want to start a business to enjoy your free time then you are doing it for the wrong reason. Starting a business is HARD work and DEDICATION.

I don't do graphic designing but I outsource and resell logos for my web designs.

Just to help you out, here are a couple of lead generation tactics that will help you out!

Sniff out companies spending money on advertising that have crappy designs. Logos, website, etc... You can find these businesses by simply googling keywords.

For instance I targeted plumbers. I Googled (now I use SEMrush too, but sometimes SEMrush is inaccurate with companies that just began advertising in last couple months) keywords relevant to plumbing. Then I looked for small plumbing companies paying for Google ads. If a company is paying for Google ads then they have $100 to spend on a logo. I pay $28 for a high quality from Pakistan. Pakistani graphic designers are the best bang for your buck. Just an FYI if you feel your work load getting too heavy.

Here's some examples:

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 11.58.58 AM.jpg

As you can see the quality is pretty good and companies didn't have a problem giving me $100.

Mind you, after pin pointing the companies that needed graphic design, I woud call them on the phone. I used to be a waiter so my people/communication skills are pretty solid. People tend to like me on the phone. Im personable and crack jokes with them. Im not a comedian but business owners seem to be pretty quirky and its not hard to make them laugh. Make em' laugh and you've got em' in the bag.

Another thing is getting familiar with IFTTT. There are tons of ways to streamline leads into an account of your choosing.

You could put out ;nationwide alerts on craigslist for everytime someone is looking for graphic design.

Get creative with your lead gen and you'll have no problem.

datamaya

datamaya
Hi Eric, great post :)

Yes, a small business may have $ 100 budget to make a new logo design, but the problem is the burdensome as they have to change the old logo on any marketing materials they have like their website, company profiles, brochures, etc.

Just curious, how do you handle such objection?

EpicGlobalWeb

EpicGlobalWeb
Right-angle close :D

1. Isolate the problem: so you're saying that the main concern is you would have to change the logo on your marketing materials?

Yes.

2. Positive Spin: That's exactly why you should hire me.

3. Right-angle Close: If I could show you how this will dramatically reduce your budget over the long run, and also capitalize on your problem with the old marketing materials without costing you any additional moeny, could we do business together?

Yes

4. Address & Re-present: Great!

* Explain here how the old marketing materials have sat in their office this long because they haven't been distributed enough and they're losing money on that already. And how a new digital presence can be used to help track where new leads are coming from. Old logo = print ads, new logo = digital ads. And now they can implement an efficient process for each. Print ads appeal to markets where people are >35 years old etc. *

I'm not a graphic designer though.

WebmasterPhil

It's easy to learn graphic design softwares but it's not easy to learn graphic design concepts. This will take some time. Also with so many designers out there, it's not going to be easy to break in right away.

The first thing you need to do is build a portfolio. Either work for cheap in the beginning or work for free to build that portfolio. If you can't get clients from Fiverr or similar sites, volunteer on forums like this.

Reactions: pathfinder

ericplotz1

ericplotz1
Fiverr???? This is not a way to make money on logo designs. I flick logo designs on CL and classified sites consistently for $25-$100. Yep I resell the $5 Fiverr designs too. But I would never sell a design of Fiverr. $5 is whack!!!

Why BUILD a portfolio when you can just outsource and mark up and use the person you are outsourcing's portfolio? Much easier then trying to build a portfolio, and even worse, do work for free???

Heck no!!!! Free work is for non-creative, non-hustling, non-gumption having people, and the mind-set of losers!!!!

I never did free work for clients, not once!!!

Don't lose in life, go for the big win. How you present yourself is EVERYTHING!!!! If you present yourself like youre eager to get your first clients, youre going to get treated like you don't have the experience. If youre confident and strict with your standards, guidelines, and pricing, REAL business owners will respect that.

Don't sell yourself short because you don't have the experience. Fake it till you make it. Your prospects have no idea who you are, and most won't investigate too much. Make sure your Linkedin and website are tight and you're good.

WebmasterPhil

I'm assuming the OP wants to start a graphic design business he/she has a passion for graphic design ;)

As for Fiverr, I recommend that as a place to build a portfolio with. It's probably not the ideal place to make serious money as a designer, because graphic design is manual labor.

But I've heard of people doing voice-overs on Fiverr and are making full-time income doing that. Not that I would do it because my throat will be dried at the end of the day, but hey, there are worse way to make an income.

Also, Fiverr allows people to make much more than $5. That's only for basic simple service. Fiverr allows sellers to pump the fees through Add-Ons. A seller can make up to $40 or more per project by adding commercial license, editable source or PSD files, etc. and etc. to the basic project.

Last edited:

ulterios

Hi,

Are you guys in graphic design field? what do you think it is worth it to start a graphic design business online?

There is a lot of competition and that has driven a lot of the prices down. If you want to stay competitive and get business then you would have to be around the same or have a lower price than the competition. This is especially true when you are first starting up.

If you are going to be doing work on Fiverr and similar websites then you had better be prepared to have to do a lot of work just to make ok money at it.

If you really want to do it then go for it, just be prepared for a lot of competition and the need to work hard to earn well.

Good Luck. ;)

bullet

Yes it is. As long as you have great skills to do the job. You can sell your design online or you can promote your own design. Take the risk if you know you had the great skill to show them that you're the best designer.

Judas2018

Absolutely it is. Everyone who's in business needs a graphic designer for logo's, labels and graphics for their blogs or websites. The more graphic designers out there, the better it is. From big brands and companies, to middle of the road and smaller ones... everyone needs a graphic designer for an eye-catching banner or emblem that really grabs the attention of site visitors and clients.

yuekai

Being a graphic designer is good in real life, but using it in online is not really a good idea for, there is a lot website out there who hire online graphic designer and guess what? they are paying in a small amount of money and expecting high from you. You are just killing those graphic designer out there for giving a design for just a 5 dollars. So basically, I don't agree using this title for those website such as fiverr and upwork.

behappie

You can have it both way. Design on platforms like Fiverr and others and also do the marketing yourself. Intact marketing yourself will pay you more. Basically, you need:
1- A website
2- A domain
3- A SEO consultant
Then you have it made.

romanalexeevich198

Good day! Worth it! Because graphic design is in great demand. Logos, labels, forms, etc. - it is very popular. You can choose one of the directions: draw, for example, logos and sell on special sites. Or, as a freelancer, find customers and offer them their services. Or, combine 2 options at once. But without a portfolio it will be difficult to find orders. Alternatively, you can try to draw graphics for reviews. Then you will have a portfolio of works and the first reviews. Good luck!

Older threads
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads