How long does it take to learn how to create web apps?

CyberAlchemist

I have noticed web programmers nowadays sell software packages or web apps. I know sometimes they outsource them but I was wondering if one can build one fast without previous experience or what things do we need to learn to create this.

Thanks in advance.

Developer

Hey CA,

The length of time required to build out web apps (or software) depends on how extensive of an app you are building. As a programmer myself, I can spit out some apps in about 20 minutes, while some may take up to 20 weeks, months even. I am sure this answer is not as useful as you were hoping, and I am sure I could go into much more length, but the bottom line is, as I said, dependent upon the actual app and how determined you are to get it out to the masses.

As far as being able to build one without previous knowledge, well, if I sat you in front of a piano, could you play the national anthem for me? Probably not, right? Same here. You would need SOME type of prior experience or knowledge to be able to spit out something half-way decent at least.

Web Marketing Tool

When doing Web Apps one important thing to keep in mind is how much of a pain testing can be. Web Apps cache differently and require additional steps to see changes you did. Also, even though Web Apps are less device dependent than Mobile Apps they still have many device specific items when you start making bigger applications.

If you are well familiar with html, javascript and css then I would say a weekend crash course (of 3-6 hours a day depending on your learning speed) will get you your first Web App installed on your phone and your first round set of revisions and dealing with the frustrations of doing updates in Web App development.

In any event, I strongly believe Web Apps are going to out grow native mobile apps in the future so I encourage you to take the time to learn it. Post any updates of things you learn or questions you have here on the forum if they haven't already been posted.

Mike001

Such a loaded question.

The thing developing web apps is to find a need for the app, research what is already out there, find the most popular app and improve on it. Add features or content that was missed on the initial development. I have written quite a few small apps for industry that assist in web design and development and found that the best apps are simple. Don't make them over complicated, keep in mind that most apps are run on small devices, many developers miss that.

They design and develop on a desktop and forget just how small things appear on the mobile devices that will view the app.

The time it takes will depend on the app, your knowledge of the topic, the knowledge you have of the platform, and of course how good you are with the development language and tools that are available for that language. I found that as I developed the apps I was working on each app became a little more complex and was developed a little faster based on my comfort level with the tools I was using.

One thing I cannot over stress. Test, Test, Test before you deploy. The worst thing that can happen to a developer is to develop a popular tool and have it full of bugs. That is the quickest way to kill a promising business. I have fixed many apps for people that deployed too soon, sold a good number of apps, and once it got out that the app was not working as intended they could not overcome the negatives that were associated with the app. Even after everything was corrected.

You will always have small bugs that may slip through, but be on top of them and do everything you can to take care of the people that purchased the app with the bug. Sometimes that may mean a FREE updates and upgrades for a while, a small price to pay to keep your users happy.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.