WordPress or full CMS

Chancer

I need to set up a website which will enable users to search for specific content by selecting one or more tags. Think of something like alibaba or amazon, just not so gargantuan.
At max i’d have 2000 posts and 200 tags.

I know WordPress can use tags to recognize similar posts (for example the YARPP plugin can do this), but can i use something like that to enable users to search/select posts with specific categories?
Or do i need a CMS for that?

I would also need to favor some of the posts so that they always stand on top when a certain tag (or set or tags) is selected.

Thank you.

hoangvu

You don't need to have a custom CMS to just do tags for categories

You can search this on Wordpress "Category SEO Meta Tags"

Add ability to add meta tags for category,tag pages and custom taxonomies. This plugin specially designed to work with All In One SEO plugin. Settings
There are some plugins can help you.

I know WordPress can use tags to recognize similar posts (for example the YARPP plugin can do this), but can i use something like that to enable users to search/select posts with specific categories?
You mean you want to use search function or tags for posts in specific categories? if so, you can need a custom code for Wordpress on your site.

I would find a freelancer if you can not do that on your WP site.

Mike001

I would use a custom CMS, and in fact based on your requirements, I would write my own.

A couple thousand posts is not that large and tags with a search feature are easy to use, why have all the bloat with WordPress.

I know it is popular, and I catch a lot of flack for the comments I make about it sometimes, from my students, but with all the bloat, back-end plugins that are needed to make it work, and all the security holes what is the fascination with that framework.

Like JerryJo said: Searching on categories would require custom code. That is just crazy, I can write a search feature for certain categories using tags on a custom CMS in 20 minutes, tops. And it will be fast as hell, I could teach you how to do it in about 45 minutes, then you could really be in control of your code.

Many of the blogs that I see and use would be so much faster, have much better security, less prone to constant updates and attacks if they were just stand alone CMS systems.

Just my two-cents.

Chancer

Thank you for the replies.

The reason i would prefer to stick with WordPress is that i already know it and thus don't need to "waste" time learning something new. I found 'Super Post' which seems like it might do the job, do you have any experience with it?

But i guess it'll really be beneficial to make my own CMS. I found a tutorial about it on YouTube but it's a few hours long so i haven't yet watched it through.
I haven't yet written anything for online use, so i'd probably need more than 45 min to learn. I appreciate the offer though, i'll go through this tutorial to learn the basics and then return here with questions.
Or, may i just PM you if i have more specific questions (@Mike001)?

Mike001

That is no problem, if you have an question and you think it would be handled better in a PM, that will be fine.

WordPress has so many problems, especially in the way of security and speed, I just steer clear of it. But it is a good for what it was developed to do. As long as you understand the limitations and you are comfortable with those then you are good.

Yes for certain you would need more than 45 minutes to learn. With a basic understanding of HTML and CSS, I could teach someone how to develop a custom CMS in about 10 hours. And in fact I am completing a video course for the University that follows the flow of my classroom course on that very topic. They asked me to write one over the summer to supplement my classroom course.

I am just wrapping it up.

EpicGlobalWeb

Has anyone here heard of or used PHP Fox? It is a proprietary, paid CMS like wordpress but cost of ownership is actually slightly lower. I think WordPress did so well because it's a platform business model. Other than that, they've had security issues forever and yet 25% of all websites still use it, even some of the most famous ones.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.