Is it lame if adding a "Buy me a Coffee" or "Donation" button on your blog?

JoeMilford

There is a lot of great advice here. When I first started, I was tempted to add a donation link to my blogs, but I trusted my instinct and did not. A general rule of thumb is to ask yourself how you would react to something on your page, and I think that a donation area tends to turn me off a bit. We all have to work for a living and provide others with useful services to get paid. I can can ask my buddy to buy me a coffee--not my customers.

manmad

It really depends on the type of blog you have. If it's a personal blog, where you usually post your own stories or photos for example and people are on the website for something that you deliver to them that is your own, there sure why not, it's not really a bad idea to get supported like that and I'm sure that they wouldn't mind it, however if you have a professionally business oriented blog, then it might not be stylish to add such a button, because people wouldn't expect to tip a business.

JoeMilford

I agree--I think that is smarter to use the space on your blog or pages to run tasteful ads or to promote products and services. If your are running an ad in one spot, and then asking for money in another, it seems to me that this is a bit too much for your target audience. Maybe most people don't mind, but is a "cup of coffee" donation worth losing even ONE possible customer who would pay much more for your product or offered service?

Aryan

Every people like to help other but in term of money people generally don't like when they don't have too much money. Before making any donation, people think to fulfill their needs and wishes. As above my friends suggest it better to have display ads on your website rather than any such button.

Kamley

I think the "Buy me a Coffee" would be cool if you're really close to the people. For example, if you have a Youtube channel and you're vlogging and you're making connection with your fans, I think people would be glad to donate you small money. But if it's just a normal blog and you have a small or even a big crowd I don't think people will like it. But maybe some people would donate if they're really thankful to you.
As for me, you won't actually lose money on putting a button like those. Me for example would just ignore buttons like that but won't dislike it. So go for the "Buy me a Coffee" button because if you put "Donations" people would think it's for charity. There's nothing wrong if you put those kind of thing in your blog. It's your own blog so do what you want. :)

tiffiecute

If your intentions are clean, then it should not be an issue. People are not stupid and who wants to be fooled? If your actions are sincere and you can show proof of it, people would bite it. Putting a donation button can be a good choice.

WebzSuite

If that is not a company/product/service blog and your personal, then why not?

I enjoy reading some people blogs and sometimes I will donate.

AlanMcLean

Hmm ... Sounds interesting, maybe I'll follow your example and try to do something similar on my blog. I just don't know how my audience will react as my blog is about making or tasting coffee.

AlanMcLean

AlanMcLean
Do you think it would be too silly to use the phrase "Buy me a coffee!" on my blog. Usually, I talk about the rules for making delicious and aromatic coffee, we also discuss the best espresso beans and various tools for making coffee. Perhaps my subscribers will find this rude of me and I do not want it to lead to conflicts. Maybe I should vote and find out what they think about this.

AidanSEO

I am planning to add a "Buy me a Coffee!" or "Donation" button on my blog, with a decent traffic I think it can generate a little money from donations and a couple days after I did it, I went to my site, looked at it and second guessed myself. Should I stray from the "Donation" buttons? Is it distasteful? Or, do you do it too?
Please share your thoughts!
Depends on the blog, honestly.
If your blog is hobby related, and just offering advice, insights, or sharing your experiences for free, then no I wouldn't consider it lame.
If it's a professional blog for a company selling a service or product, then yes, I would think it would come across as unprofessional.

OliveFox

Honestly, I don't see anything lame in adding those buttons. Especially, if it's a start up and you probably might need some additional cash for your business

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies