Should We Request Payment Upfront for Online Jobs?

bob

Hi there,

I have a genuine question which I think people doing online jobs(SEO people, web designers, internet marketers) care about this problem.
What if our clients say that payment will be made after project finishs? Will you agree with that or not?

Should we request payment upfront for online jobs?

Please share your advice.

bob

It can go either way. Some people only get paid after a job is complete, while others get paid first.
which case i should request first or after job is complete?

If it's a small job, then after is fine, but anything large ($100 or more) you should get a 10-30% deposit upfront.
according to you, I can request 50% upfront payment?

NaturalWriter

I work on my own, as well as work on micro job sites, and with Micro Job sites, you're covered... Sort of...lol

When you're doing Freelance work on your own independently, you have no choice but to ask for money upfront, as you have to be sure your time is covered.

You should have no issue receiving money upfront if:

:D You provide your client with enough samples of your material.

:D Have an updated blog about current projects you've worked on, or something that's showing you're still active and raring to go.

:D You set a realistic deadlines for the work to be completed.

:D You maintain a good stream of communication... ALWAYS!

I wouldn't agree with being paid after the work is completed, unless if the person is a regular client who you can trust.

Only you can cover your own a**, no one else. Believe me, there are many people online and offline that will screw you any chance they get. Look after you...

Last edited:
Reactions: bob

NicholasK

Buyer has always advantages...

BlaZe

If you are famous for your quality work then ask for 35% payment upfront. But if you are just starting your work online then don't bother asking for upfront.

You need to be trusted by the online audience so that you can be paid upfront. If you just register on a freelancing site and ask for 50% upfront on your 1st job then IMO no one would bother.

Alex - A2Hosting
I'd have to agree with this. If you're respected and known for good work to the point you have potential clients reaching out to you then you're really in a position to charge an upfront fee not all of it, but a decent percentage. The rest paid after the work has completed.

If you're starting out you really need as little hurdles as possible to build a reputation and a portfolio. Of course this would differ depending on the size of the work and if any costs associated with completing the work.

web3k

When you're not dealing with large, reputable businesses who have accounts teams etc, you may wish to consider an up-front payment before you start work. Up to 50% isn't unreasonable.

Ch_SALMAN

Here is my point of view on this.
Always collect your funds prior starting jobs. Always upfront.
On the other hand you can have post completion funds from regular clients only.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Ric
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.