What Are the Differences Between Coding, scripting and Programming?

Anna

Does anybody can explain the difference between coding, programming and scripting? Or are they all interchangeable? Because it seems to me very blurry. Coding and programming I'm not sure there's a big difference, but I would be very grateful for detailed answer. Thank you!

Hassan

Programming: The overall act of designing, expressing, debugging, then optimizing a software package.

Coding: Expressing (implementing) a program. (You'll note I've yet to say anything about computer languages. This was intentional.)

Scripting: Expressing a program (function, or subroutine) in a particular language.

BenWilson

It seems to be a very interesting question. I would like to throw some lights upon basic difference between these three.

Scripting is a part of programming language or incomplete language that can interpret in run-time which can be handle by human users.

Coding is what makes us possible to create computer software, apps and websites.

Programming is a language which instruct machine to do a particular action depending on users request.

jitendrasurve

Good Question!

I will answer in simple words.

Programming is used when we are developing a complete application or program, such as Joomla, Wordpress are programmed. Even a huge application for hosting company are programmed.

Coding: Developing a different modules for a application is called coding such as implementing a payment gateways with account softwares.

Scripting can be a just a script to trigger few add-ons such as a calendar, language switcher or any wordpress plugins are scripting. Even android apps, you can say its scripted.

ElixantTechnology

Programming can be intrepreted in different ways, the true difference between the bunch are,

Programming: Any language used to build an application/program that is required to be compiled before use (C, Java, ETC)
Scripting: Any languaged used similarily to that of a Programming Language, but is not required to be compiled before use (PHP, Ruby, Perl, Etc)
Coding: Frontend stuff (HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Etc)

YRuslan

Scripting has a few senses.

One is code that's used to direct the behavior of other programs instead of code that's used to write standalone applications all by itself. JavaScript and ActionScript fall into that category.

Another is code that's written in an interpreted language (such as perl, bash, or PowerShell) that's intended do small tasks for you and doesn't have a user interface or anything like that.

Scripting languages themselves actually tend to be less limited than non-scripting languages, in that they come with a lot more features and do the housekeeping for you. They tend to be designed for ease of use rather than performance, though, and often do not come with a compiler. A common practice nowadays is to write the guts of an application in a traditional programming language and then do all the higher-level control and whatnot in a scripting language so that you're using each for the kinds of tasks it's best suited for. About half of Adobe Lightroom is written in Lua for example.

If there's any difference between coding and programming, it's that programming can be used to describe any part of building software, up to and including doodling in a notepad, whereas coding specifically means sitting at a keyboard banging away on source code.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.