Difference between reset and restart on my VPS?

Starfire

I'm seeing 2 options to reboot my VPS on my web control panel, that's Reset and Restart :eek:hmy:
Honestly, I don't know what is the difference between reset and restart, why having 2 these options.
I used to push reset but what about restart, it's different from "reset"?

Anyone gives me explanations?

netgremlin

Usually reset takes vps back to state when you first purchased it ie reloading software and restart is the same as restarting your computer... so if you don't want to loose any software you have loaded on use restart!

buzybee-kevin

Reset would be a cold reboot like you shut the server down and then started it backup. The benefit of this would be if you made a major change to the server and needed that changed loaded when then the server reboots. Restart is a hot reboot no config files are reloaded and some operating system files stay in the servers memory for the reboot. Some times if you make a major change to the server and just reboot it that change may not take effect. Restart is much faster than reset is.

I don't believe reset is for reloading your operating system usually this is very clear and with a warning and in a different location than restart.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.