How to Prevent Web Hosting Crash on High Traffic Websites

margarita

Hello, I'm sure more people got the same problem (hosting crashed when more people visit at once time or over load CPU...etc) when your website is growing and getting more traffic.
Can you give me any tips how to prevent web hosting crash on high traffic websites for Shared Servers and VPS hosting?
2 questions more:
How do you estimate traffic and choose a suitable hosting plan for it?
How do you scale it up for high traffic and then scale it down when low traffic and keep it cost effective for our budget?

Hassan

For high traffic websites dedicated server is recommended vps and shared server wont able to handle high traffic.

Hassan

To be honest you cant run high traffic websites on shared hosting or vps there will be always downtime or host suspend account about cost if anyone have good amount of traffic he/she can convert it to cash and pay for services.

ElixantTechnology

What kind of traffic are you talking? Who is your current hosting provider? Maybe it's just to do with the provider's specifications, maybe I might be able to help you out.

margarita

margarita
I only want to know solutions for that( asked on the first post above) because I or someone here can get the same problem with hosting when traffic increases subdenly.

TSOHost - Akin

Hello, I'm sure more people got the same problem (hosting crashed when more people visit at once time or over load CPU...etc) when your website is growing and getting more traffic.
Can you give me any tips how to prevent web hosting crash on high traffic websites for Shared Servers and VPS hosting?
2 questions more:
How do you estimate traffic and choose a suitable hosting plan for it?
How do you scale it up for high traffic and then scale it down when low traffic and keep it cost effective for our budget?
Hi Margarita,

It's a very good question that you have asked and there are infact a variety of solutions for you.

1) I understand that a Dedicated Server is not financially viable for you at this time however this would likely be the best solution if you are expecting a large amount of traffic. Do remember that downtime costs money (in terms of SEO and lost advertising, sales, marketing, etc). Some of our existing clients migration from both Shared Hosting and VPS on to Dedicated Servers for a few months if they know that are expecting a large amount of traffic. They can then migrate back down if their traffic levels die down.

2) Using a VPS is extremely risky because there is a hard limit to the amount of traffic that ic can handle. This limit is usually the RAM although it can also be the CPU. For an average WordPress site we would normally estimate that each concurrent (simultaneous) connection to the server/site will use approximately 50 - 100mb or RAM. This means that is you have 20 people sat on your site and only 2GB of RAM in your VPS, the 21st person to logon could crash the site, if not certainly slow it down dramatically. This are just rough figures/estimates and it isn't as simple as this but the principle is the same.

3) If your hosting provider has a true Cloud Cluster Platform with Redundant Firewalls, Load-Balancers, etc. this platform should be able to cope with traffic spikes well however there is no guarantee that it will be able to do this as another site on the same Cluster as you may also be receiving a large amount of traffic and therefore requesting a a lot of resources at the same time. With Shared Hosting you will never know and so there is no guarantee that the site will stay up.

Making use of a CDN such as CloudFlare can help with reducing the server load during periods of high traffic and there are some free packages that are offered however this is essentially a caching tool and so only static content/images will be cached.

I hope this helps! :)

margarita

I've just realised how long that post was... Sorry!
No...it's really great information and I'm reading and learning from it.

Making use of a CDN such as CloudFlare can help with reducing the server load during periods of high traffic and there are some free packages that are offered however this is essentially a caching tool and so only static content/images will be cached.
You suggested me about CloudFlare, I saw it's offering free and paid service. Do I should go with paid service?

This means that is you have 20 people sat on your site and only 2GB of RAM in your VPS, the 21st person to logon could crash the site, if not certainly slow it down dramatically. This are just rough figures/estimates and it isn't as simple as this but the principle is the same.
wow...so for a VPS 2GB RAM, my site only can accommodate ~ 10 people at once time?

If a site with 500 to 1500 users online all the time, what features do I need for a VPS?

TSOHost - Akin

You suggested me about CloudFlare, I saw it's offering free and paid service. Do I should go with paid service?
CloudFlare offer far more than just traffic handling. The paid packages offer advanced DNS settings, DDoS protection, Software Firewalls, in depth analytics, etc. There is even a feature that will display a locally cached version of the site if the server is completely down so that the site appears to be up still. Nevertheless, the free plan would be enough for you needs I think.

wow...so for a VPS 2GB RAM, my site only can accommodate ~ 10 people at once time?
These figures aren't 100% accurate as it depends on the site/CMS etc. however yes, with only 2GB RAM appropriately 10-20 concurrent connections is the maximum that your server would be able to cope with.

If a site with 500 to 1500 users online all the time, what features do I need for a VPS?
Will all 1500 hundred people be on the site at exactly the same time? i.e. Not 1500 people spread throughout the day but 1500 people at the same precise second on your server??

Reactions: margarita and wms

margarita

margarita
Yes, ~ 500 or 1500 users online all the same time

Honestly, Around 6 or 7 years a go, I have got a website with ~200 users online at the same time and my shared HG web hosting couldn't accommodate with that mount, while I couldn't update to a VPS or Dedicated server because I didn't know how to use them. Also, I didn't know how to earn money from its traffic to pay for higher web hosting plans I turned it and didn't renewed the domain name later :(

TSOHost - Akin

TSOHost - Akin
Yes, so with concurrent connections, you will in fact find that a Shared Hosting package may be able to hold more users than a single VPS. For example, a single VPS can have 2GB of RAM. This is a hard limit and once this limit is reached, the server will crash and as a result all of the websites hosted on the VPS will go down. Shared Hosting Package will normally make use of a load-balanced cluster comprising of multiple high-resource servers (in excess of 64GB RAM each for example). The resources used by each site on the cluster will be responsive so if your site has a traffic spike and temporarily requires 10GB or RAM, it will be able to stay up as the cluster will physically have the RAM available.

Whether the hosting provider sees this and sets a cap or asked you to move to a dedicated package is up to them or not.

The downside to the Shared Hosting packages is that there is no guarantee that another site on the same cluster as you isn't doing exactly the same thing. If someone else's site suddenly receives a huge amount of traffic, this can (and likely will) sloe down your site even if you are experiencing normal traffic levels.

In addition to this, some hosting providers have a global database settings for things such as max_connections or max_user_connections, effectively limiting the number of database queries/connections you can have at any single time. With a VPS or Dedicated Server you can amend and configure this to match your needs.

Hassan

CloudFlare is not for this purpose if you have high traffic and website is not even opening CloudFlare show offline version not live.

Hassan

by the way you can also get dedicated in vps price now a days.

buzybee-kevin

It is possible to get a dedicated server for the price of a VPS but you will need to look at the type of HD drives and CPU Core and Clock speed. More than likely the Dedicated specs will be much lower than the VPS will be at the same price. In this area a Dedicated would be worth it for other reasons than performance and speed.

ElixantTechnology

Okay I missed out on a lot here. It comes down to this, a website that is properlly built can handle a huge amount of traffic while using very little resources. I have worked with customers that see upwards to 20-30,000 visitors online on their website with only a hex core CPU and 12GB of memory. It all depends on how resource intensive the application you are running is and how the server that is running it is configured.

I have also seen it where people are running improperly configured software/website, utilizing huge hardware arrays and barely being able to stay online. After some consultation and modifications these people cut their infrastructure to a fraction of the size and still are able to handle more than before.

There are so many things that need to be taken into consideration, I know I say this a lot, but it is true.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.