How to Configure Name Servers using Directadmin or WHM in Unmanaged/Managed VPS on Centos?

freds86

Hi guys,
Can you share me short tips on how to configure name servers using Directadmin or WHM in Unmanaged/Managed VPS on Centos?
in WHM i saw a place to put IP addresses to create dns but I didn't know how to start/do
in Directadmin, I need to buy an extra iP address to create 2 domain names server from 2 ip address, is it correct?

please guide me

ElixantTechnology

First off, you are going to need 2 IP Addresses. If your VPS only came with 1 IP Address (and it is a budget VPS) there is a good chance that your provider will not provide you with more without proper justification (Nameservers aren't proper justification, nor is SSL anymore). Your provider can charge you between 1-6 per month for each IP address, so it might be best just to use a DNS service elsewhere and save yourself the trouble.

This was pulled from DirectAdmin's Forums to give you an idead on how to do this in DirectAdmin [URLnf=http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=130]Here[/URLnf].

Hostname.club

Setup custom nameservers usually need at least main IP of VPS/Server, but it does not mean "two ips". Many providers release just a main IP address (single) for both two nameservers at current time.

To setup custom nameservers (like ns1.yourdomain.com), you must do two part:
- A First part: go to your domain control panel (where you buy domain name) and setup child nameservers (ns1/ns2.yourdomain.com and point to Server IPs).
- Second part: Add these records to your server (follow this guide)

ElixantTechnology

The whole idea behind having two nameservers (ns1/ns2) is for DNS redundancy. Best practice is to have your Nameservers hosted on seperate IP Addresses on seperate networks. So for instance;

Network 1 - Server
Network 2 - NS1
Network 3 - NS2

This way, in the event of one of your nameservers going offline, your DNS would still be served and you would not see downtime. This is in a cluster type configuration.

However, by throwing both NS1 and NS2 on the same IP address there is a much higher chance that you will see DNS errors, as a lot of services providers and even browsers will see this as a little bit fishy and unreliable. Unless you intend on setting things up using 2 IP addresses I would recommend that you utilize an external DNS provider, even Cloudflare will serve your DNS more reliably.

Sure there are shortcuts and quick and cheap ways of doing things, but the way I see it is, would you rather take the steps now to prevent something bad from happening in the future, or would you rather wait and see if something breaks, then have to pick up all the pieces and reconfigure everything later.

Setup custom nameservers usually need at least main IP of VPS/Server, but it does not mean "two ips". Many providers release just a main IP address (single) for both two nameservers at current time.

To setup custom nameservers (like ns1.yourdomain.com), you must do two part:
- A First part: go to your domain control panel (where you buy domain name) and setup child nameservers (ns1/ns2.yourdomain.com and point to Server IPs).
- Second part: Add these records to your server (follow this guide)

King-Servers

Name servers are created and assigned an IP address at the domain registrar of the domain name. To complete the setup on the cPanel server, you simply need to add the "A" records in via:

"WHM Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone"

Euservr

Look at this picture, I hope that you understand what to do. You just need your vps ip address.

Untitled.jpg

And also you have to do is, Add A entries for the name server. Add your vps ip address on both ns1 and ns2.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
GKC
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.