A Little Rant about Domain Registrars!

Which Domain Should I Use?

• Total voters

ElixantTechnology

Alright, here's my rant! I just thought I would make everyone aware about some unfair tactics that the Domain Registration industry is utilizing. So, I have known for a very long time that Godaddy has a system in place that monitors name searches looking for popular keywords, and if someone searches a domain with one of these keywords and does not register it within a small timeframe, they register it.

Today, I was planning on registering a few domains, and as I was doing market research and had the page open already, I thought hell, might as well.. I searched a few domains on Namecheap.com, one of which was DiamondVPS.COM. After creating a list of domains in which I was to register, I returned to my website, pushed them through the system and registered them. Unfortunately, as I was doing this I noticed suddenly that DiamondVPS.com was registered with Namecheap in that small timeframe. I never thought Namecheap to be using these tactics, which is a real piss off. Thought I would just inform the community.

ON THE OTHER HAND... I did score some pretty good domains!!!

http://www.thebesthostingever.com (Of corse I immediately forwarded this to my company website)
http://www.diamondvm.com (Ironic, I was still able to get a similar domain)
http://www.instavm.com (Another score)

So, I am deciding which one of the VM domains I will use, or whether I will use both... The other I will sell. Tell me guys, which one do you think is better? We are currently building a VPS Infrastructure, and I want to offer the services under a separate brand as the prices will be more in the budget range. I've setup a poll, tell me which domain I should use for this brand, or if I should use both and create two brands!

ElixantTechnology

Nope, wasn't me who registered it. I searched the domain and realized that it was availible so I added it to my list. When I went to register it, it was gone, already registered. So I ran a whois and POOF, Namecheap registered it before I could. So, instead I registered DiamondVM.com, would have been nice to have DiamondVPS.com though.

hipcat

I'd brand both using different price points and, yes, registrars are a sleazy bunch, but Godaddy is the worst with their constant upselling to the point where the emails are like spam. Plus they stopped allowing use of renewal codes AND then raised the prices so there is nothing we can do about it. Great way to screw the loyal customers.

Inquestor

Alright, here's my rant! I just thought I would make everyone aware about some unfair tactics that the Domain Registration industry is utilizing. So, I have known for a very long time that Godaddy has a system in place that monitors name searches looking for popular keywords, and if someone searches a domain with one of these keywords and does not register it within a small timeframe, they register it.
I figured this one out 3 years or so ago. This has happened so many times it's not even funny. What I do when I don't have the funds available on hand to purchase, I just search through Name.com

Also, about 3 years ago, I had a Godaddy representative look into my account to "help" me get the DDC when I wasn't to keen on domaining. I had 3 domains dissapear within a week.

When I noticed they were missing as I had 300 domains or so, I checked my receipts and they didn't expire until 5 months.

Those SOB's had all 3 domains available for premium domains at $1200+ each!!!!!

There used to be NoGaddy.com which was a complaint website for GoDaddy but they bought them out to shut them up for 100K. Must have been a good payday for someone.

Be very careful with Godaddy.

Plus, any domain backordering service is a complete scam. You can setup a monitering service yourself for crying out loud! Or, just check whois every month

Oh, by the way I voted for Both. Build two brands. :thumb:

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.