BlueHost Vs Hostgator Vs Dreamhost, any Comparisons?

socialagency

Have you used hosting from BlueHost, Hostgator or Dreamhost, please give me any review about quality of their hosting services.?

I suppose that these plans from bluehost, hostgator or dreamhost may be useful for small websites

Any reviews would be helpful for me
Thanks

success druggy

I prefer Bluehost, because the service they provide is good, and the panel is user-friendly. If you want to launch a small website than you can install wordpress by one click installation, and Wordpress will update automatically(This is the great advantage of Bluehost)

ElixantTechnology

Unfortunately Bluehost and Hostgator are the same company and are EIG-Owned, I would not recommend utilizing either of them if you require reliability for your web platform, or expect to generate any sort of revenue. Next, DreamHost has been having quite a few issues lately, and I wouldn't quite recommend them either, though I can't say 100%.

DreamHost uses their own platform with is heavily restricted and not as feature rich as a hosting provider using cPanel as a control panel. Their servers can be extremely oversold at times, depending on where they place your account.

I would recommend doing a bit more research and coming up with a couple other choices, I would be more than happy to provide you with further input.

What billing cycle are you planning on going with? BlueHost last I checked didn't allow for anything less than annual pre-payment (unless you get an expensive package) so if you planned anything from monthly - 6 months then that would take this host off the list.

Check out the hosting section, some really nice offers there.

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
We are having a website that hosting at bluehost but honestly their service's decreasing quality of service by the time, more downtimes and slow loading speed for my website. I'm going to find a new host for this website or move it to our current vps or dedicated server in the future.

Quadrivium

Yeah, I'd go with Linode, DigitalOcean, or AWS. Bluehost, DreamHost, HostGator, and all the rest of the budget hosts are mostly junk. DreamHost does have a very nice control panel, but I wouldn't run anything important or critical on it.

Tommy

Have you used hosting from BlueHost, Hostgator or Dreamhost, please give me any review about quality of their hosting services.?

I suppose that these plans from bluehost, hostgator or dreamhost may be useful for small websites

Thanks
I used both Bluehost and Hostgator (except Dreamhost), honestly it can run well for any small websites that require less cpu usage or traffic.

If you are find a good shared hosting, I suggest you go Shared Hosting Offers on WebmasterSun.com , there are more good offers and good price for you. Choosing one best hosting provider there, it can be good for someone, not you!

Alternation is go for VPS, Try VPS Hosting Offers section, If you are not going to spent time to update your website to a higher package in the future when your website has high traffic.:D

All of those companies suck! They were good once upon a time but now :chair:

Talk to @ElixantTechnology
BTW, emotion icon seems be used right way in this way :p :eek:hmy:

TSOHost - Akin

Thanks
Hi SocialAgency,

Would you be able to let us know more about your specific needs with regards to your preferred web hosting provider? BlueHost, Hostgator or Dreamhost can certainly be useful for small websites but as many other have already mentioned, their reputation is far from great.

If you are looking for the cheapest of the cheap with less emphasis on quality service and reliability then these providers may indeed be the option for you. Otherwise, I would conduct a more in-depth search and see what other provider are within your price bracket.

socialagency

socialagency
I'm not going to go with cheap hosting, it used to go with more limitations, $7 to $10 is acceptable. I am searching for any shared hosts with high stable in CPU, no downtimes, good support..etc. Thus I want to compare BL, HG and DH. I've read reviews, some people said that Dreamhost is better than Hostgator and Bluhost but they are using their control panel thus it made more difficult for users, is it right?

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
DreamHost's Control Panel is heavily restricted in the features side of thing, you should be looking for a hosting provider that supports cPanel as a Control Panel, as it is widely used and is used by so many that security issues are resolved more often.

boognish

boognish
Definitely go with a host that uses cPanel not any custom in-house control panels like DreamHost or iPage/Fatcow does.

Check out MDDHosting, BigScoots, and StableHost. If you must have a more known brand then InMotion Hosting, SiteGround, and A2 Hosting are all stable/reliable choices IMO.

Last edited:

qount

I have used Hostgator and Dreamhost for years,my websites(on Wordpress)at Dreamhost have been hacked several times,but there is NO at Hostgator .

WilliamJCook

Hi Qount,

Yes, i too come across this problam from blue host. The i changed into HostGator.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
I keep having to bring this up, but I guess I'll say it one more time. HostGator and BlueHost are the same hosting provider, just different brand names. They are under the EIG Umbrella, and you'll have the same issues with one, as you will with the other unfortunately.

webpundits

I have used hostgator for two years. But they don't provide ddos protection for smaller websites.

Then I changed my plans and moved towards Skynethosting, I was amazed with their plans and offers. And Everything is so smooth now.

Regards

SK57

I undertook extensive research into this before making a decision and I encountered much the same responses as above. Everyone has a story or an experience good and bad for all the services mentioned. I suppose if you are a brand name such as Amazon or Wallmart or Argos or Virgin etc then your hosting provider needs to be special. Special comes with a special price. Can you afford that special price when you are running a website that is unlikely to be making special money. NO. Pointless labouring between hosting providers at this end of the market until you can afford the big boys. I suspect that the functionality found in these smaller servers such as Hostgator, Bluehost etc is perfectly adequate for most of our day to day needs. Yes they all have down time and yes if you do a search on each one they all also have raving, good, average, bad and very bad reviews each. The beauty of most of them is that you aren't tied in to any long term contracts and if you want to move it is relatively easy to do so.

I would there suggest choosing a provider that fits with your current budget and website needs, that has minimal downtime (no one has 100% uptime) and choose one that you can easily use and change if required.

FWIW - I opted for Hostgator based on my needs and cost. I may eventually find that I have made the wrong choice but only time will tell. If I don't like them I can always transfer elsewhere when I want. I would also suggest that as you grow and potentially get into other niche markets that you actually use them all and keep your eggs out of one basket.

Hope that helps.

Steve

elcidofaguy

Generally speaking its all great advice been given on this thread... So just one thing on my part to add... Regardless of web host - my preference is always to separate domain registrar with hosting e.g.

domain name (namcheap) DNS pointing to ---> web hosting (blue host)

That way if your web host lets you down its real easy to change the DNS settings at your domain registrar and point it to a new host...

A really cool back up configuration could be to place a replica copy of your site on another host and in the event of a DDOS attack on a shared server, you could change the DNS and be up and running in no time... I also recommend using a CDN in addition to web hosting such as cloudflare which provides extra security/performance cover ...

SK57

Generally speaking its all great advice been given on this thread... So just one thing on my part to add... Regardless of web host - my preference is always to separate domain registrar with hosting e.g.

domain name (namcheap) DNS pointing to ---> web hosting (blue host)

That way if your web host lets you down its real easy to change the DNS settings at your domain registrar and point it to a new host......
Sound advise. I was also told to do that. Hostgator + 123. Changing the DNS was easy too.

"A really cool back up configuration could be to place a replica copy of your site on another host and in the event of a DDOS attack on a shared server, you could change the DNS and be up and running in no time... I also recommend using a CDN in addition to web hosting such as cloudflare which provides extra security/performance cover" ...
This next bit however is above my head at the moment but I am getting there........slowly.

Steve

elcidofaguy

For sure I'll try elaborate more... With using a CDN (Content Delivery Network) like cloudflare the configuration would go like this noting to separate domain registrar and web host:

domain name (namcheap) DNS pointing to ---> CDN (Cloudflare) With settings pointing to ---> web hosting (blue host)

There are other CDNs out there - I used Cloudlfare on one of my sites as it kept getting hit with a DDOS attack which kept eating away on server resources... Within cloudflare you can set your account to "help I'm under attack mode" - which filters out the DDOS attack IPs from reaching your webhost and website.... You can create a free account with cloudflare as I did - for more info check it out here.

With the backup that I mentioned - lets say you have a website that you're real keen to keep operational at all times.. Then I would add a replica copy of it to another webhost and if s*** ever hit the fan you could change the DNS to point to the alternative backup webhost if that makes sense....

I hope that helps and good luck with your endeavors! ;-)

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads