Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 421/15
    Given: 68/60
    Thanks

Stay Away From EIG Hosting Companies

I cannot stress this enough.

EIG is a large company that has been buying up webhosts for years. They allow the webhosts to continue to operate under their business name, but slowly EIG sinks their claws in. Customer service will go in the toilet. Their hardware will fail and be replaced with the cheapest, barely working thing they can find.

This is the best list I have found of webhosts owned by EIG. If you are using one of them with a site you care about, I would switch hosting companies right away. Like yesterday.

http://researchasahobby.com/full-list-eig-hosting-companies-brands/

HostGator, BlueHost, JustHost, HostMonster, A Small Orange, HostNine... all owned by EIG.

I have used A Small Orange for years. Loved them. Great service. They would go out of their way to help. Much like HostGator used to be. It has been slowly changing and mainly over the past 8 months or so. I have had a couple of outages at my forum. Usually they were just an hour or two, and then things were right back up and working. It has happened maybe 4 times in the past 6 months. Frustrating, but nothing too serious.

Until now...

My site has been down for 3 days. They have stopped answering service tickets. Their live chat has a 90+ minute wait for someone to tell you that they are aware of the problem and working on it. The closest thing to an explanation they have provided is this... https://status.asmallorange.com/?id=590

I was really hoping A Small Orange would be an exception in the EIG portfolio, a diamond in a pile of turds. Now it is just another turd.

You can find tons of complaints about EIG owned companies out there. I have used some of them with no issues. The problem is that when things do go wrong, they go catastrophically wrong.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SEOPub For This Useful Post:
    steitieh (12-30-2015),ulterios (12-29-2015)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 344/7
    Given: 62/9
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear your experience. You're sure not the only one. I stayed with Hostgator for too long, hoping for the same, that they might be better than what seems to happen to everything EIG buys up.

Same here for me, I started with Hostgator several years back before EIG and they rocked. Not so afterwards.

Ulterious and I have talked about it in a couple of other threads.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 111/1
    Given: 9/3
    Thanks
    Very common complaints with EIG companies!

FYI, Arvixe is now fully under EIG and Arvixe support is being handled by the A Small Orange team....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 305/1
    Given: 93/0
    Thanks
    WOW! I gotta be honest, I am surprised with the mentions of HostGator.

I have been with HostGator for almost 6 years now and I have never had
    a problem. My sites are always online and speedy. Support has ALWAYS
    been VERY helpful, even just a few weeks ago when I had a question which
    they really had nothing to do with, 2 of their support personnel were very
    quick to respond with very helpful answers to my inquiry (again, even though
    they could have told me that "that is not in our realm of support").

Now, I am NOT saying NO one has ever had problems, as I have heard quite a
    few horror stories, however, I am saying that I may be the exception to the rule
    as I have yet to have any issues with them.

Just my 2¢ though.

Would love to hear from others who may have had issues with HG.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Developer View Post
    WOW! I gotta be honest, I am surprised with the mentions of HostGator.

I have been with HostGator for almost 6 years now and I have never had
    a problem. My sites are always online and speedy. Support has ALWAYS
    been VERY helpful, even just a few weeks ago when I had a question which
    they really had nothing to do with, 2 of their support personnel were very
    quick to respond with very helpful answers to my inquiry (again, even though
    they could have told me that "that is not in our realm of support").

Now, I am NOT saying NO one has ever had problems, as I have heard quite a
    few horror stories, however, I am saying that I may be the exception to the rule
    as I have yet to have any issues with them.

Just my 2¢ though.

Would love to hear from others who may have had issues with HG.
    HostGator has had some major, much more widespread outages over the past 18 months or so. There was one where it took them almost a day to even release any kind of announcement that there was indeed a problem. I think that was last fall.

There was a big outage in the past year or so that took down a ton of HostGator and BlueHost sites.

You have just been lucky. I have a bunch of sites with HostGator. For the most part they have been okay, but I have had a lot of intermittent outages. After this experience, I will be moving those away from EIG as well.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    WOW, I guess it may be time to start checking out alternative hosts, just
    in case, lol. I would have to say, based on the posts here and on several
    other forums I frequent, yes, in deed I have been very lucky. Thanks for
    your post and info SEOPub, greatly appreciated.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Developer View Post
    WOW, I guess it may be time to start checking out alternative hosts, just
    in case, lol.
    All too often we see people who say, 'oh, so thousands of people have had horrible problems, but I've never seen any issues so I will stick with them'. Then a month later, you see the same people claiming they are loosing $$$/day due to an outage and no answer from support.

Sometimes you have to read "the writing on the wall" and do what you need to BEFORE you end up with your sites offline, no way to access your data, and no response from the host!

Don't let yourself get stuck in that situation! Or at least, maintain your own offsite backups!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO Servers View Post
    Don't let yourself get stuck in that situation! Or at least, maintain your own offsite backups!
    Couldn't agree more. I always keep backups and have just setup a new
    "minimal cost" backup hosting account, just in case.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/1
    Given: 24/0
    Thanks
    I am with a small orange too. My sites been down all F***ING WEEK!!!!

Im moving somewhere else, where should we go?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UVM View Post
    I am with a small orange too. My sites been down all F***ING WEEK!!!!

I'm moving this site in particular to either StableHost or GeekStorage. I have had an excellent experience with both of them. It will likely depend on which one offers the most help moving the site.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UVM View Post
    There are a lot of quality hosts you could move to. Be sure to check the offers section.

Always be sure to ask about free website migrations. Most quality hosts should be willing to offer this for free for new customers.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I don't think it's so much that "some" people are lucky that they don't have a problem with a bad host, I think they just don't notice. Just hard to believe so many people have problems with a host, yet there are always those using the same that say it's all roses. Just hard to see how the problems are not affecting every one.

That's one of the things EIG does, they acquire a host and move all the stuff to their servers, often crappy servers. How can it not affect every one? Or I am not a hosting guru

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Killian View Post
    I don't think it's so much that "some" people are lucky that they don't have a problem with a bad host, I think they just don't notice. Just hard to believe so many people have problems with a host, yet there are always those using the same that say it's all roses. Just hard to see how the problems are not affecting every one.

That's one of the things EIG does, they acquire a host and move all the stuff to their servers, often crappy servers. How can it not affect every one? Or I am not a hosting guru
    True.

Some people have uptime monitors that alert them any time there's downtime. Many do not.

Some people use support. Many do not.
    Of those that do, most will only have simple Level 1 needs, that any tech (should be able to) can handle. Others will have Level 3 needs, only to find they fired too many of their higher level techs to save money, so now it takes days to fix complex problems.

They may use newer, high performance servers. The problem is if they try to pack too many customers on the same machine.

Some hosts provide cheap hosting for $2-3 dollars a month, but in order to make a profit, they put several hundred customers on the same server, and have the bare minimum network infrastructure to support it.

Other hosts charge $10-$20 for a similar hosting plan, but have higher performance servers, less customers on a server, and a larger redundant network.

You get what you pay for! If your website is important to you, eat a PB&J at home instead of going out to eat, just one time a month, and put your website on a quality host!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Hosting is one thing I have never skimped on since my first day online. It's just TOO important to take chances. One place I have not been a cheapskate.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 385/0
    Given: 564/0
    Thanks
    EIG is buying up many of the companies that had decent reputations, to help offset how bad theirs is. Unfortunately the only thing they succeed in doing is screwing up the reputation of that company.

With me my issue wasn't with downtime, but the fact that they tried to extort me. They locked my accounts (2 different) within days of each other for alleged "Malware". After fighting with them for days and finally getting a copy of what they were calling "Malware", I found out that there was none. What there was was a plugin that I was using that had a "Potential" backdoor vulnerability, so they flagged and locked my sites and accounts.

They told me the only way to fix it was to buy their Site Lock service and to keep paying for it. Funny thing is that they had a clash of interest because the software they used to "detect" the Alleged "Malware" was Site Lock software.

There was NO MALWARE of any kind, just a (Supposed) potential backdoor threat a plugin for WordPress might have had. They would not release my sites, data or anything unless I agreed to pay $9 per month per site or $100 per year per site. I went round and round with them and got nowhere. I even filed a complaint with the BBB and got the run around.

I was able to talk one of the support people at 1 of the hosting companies to unlock my sites on that host for 24 hours to fix the problem. I downloaded everything form their servers, uploaded it to a new host, had it checked by their as well as some independent security services and guess what?

NO MALWARE WHATSOEVER !!!

EIG is a big time scamming company and extortionist !

If anyone is considering getting a hosting plan from and EIG owned company, make sure that you have a very cheap computer AND a backup computer!

If you do go with an EIG host, there is a VERY good chance that you might wind up doing this:

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ulterios View Post
    EIG is buying up many of the companies that had decent reputations, to help offset how bad theirs is. Unfortunately the only thing they succeed in doing is screwing up the reputation of that company.

With me my issue wasn't with downtime, but the fact that they tried to extort me. They locked my accounts (2 different) within days of each other for alleged "Malware". After fighting with them for days and finally getting a copy of what they were calling "Malware", I found out that there was none. What there was was a plugin that I was using that had a "Potential" backdoor vulnerability, so they flagged and locked my sites and accounts.

They told me the only way to fix it was to buy their Site Lock service and to keep paying for it. Funny thing is that they had a clash of interest because the software they used to "detect" the Alleged "Malware" was Site Lock software.

There was NO MALWARE of any kind, just a (Supposed) potential backdoor threat a plugin for WordPress might have had. They would not release my sites, data or anything unless I agreed to pay $9 per month per site or $100 per year per site. I went round and round with them and got nowhere. I even filed a complaint with the BBB and got the run around.

I was able to talk one of the support people at 1 of the hosting companies to unlock my sites on that host for 24 hours to fix the problem. I downloaded everything form their servers, uploaded it to a new host, had it checked by their as well as some independent security services and guess what?

NO MALWARE WHATSOEVER !!!

EIG is a big time scamming company and extortionist !

If anyone is considering getting a hosting plan from and EIG owned company, make sure that you have a very cheap computer AND a backup computer!

If you do go with an EIG host, there is a VERY good chance that you might wind up doing this:

Wow, that is totally wrong. Sorry to hear. Never had that much trouble myself. Funny they can "catch" some fake crap but they can't catch the real stuff.

But it is a very important reminder that we always need to have copies of all our files and databases and have our domains with a different company, just in case we need to move quickly.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Killian For This Useful Post:
    ulterios (12-29-2015)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    My site is finally back online after 5 days of outage. NOTHING takes 5 days to fix. Ridiculous.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOPub View Post
    My site is finally back online after 5 days of outage. NOTHING takes 5 days to fix. Ridiculous.
    That is rediculous! I hope you are taking backups and looking to move away from EIG!

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Yes, definitely moving.

Looking at LiquidWeb, StableHost, and GeekStorage. I have never used LiquidWeb, but heard great things. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the other two.

Also considering OVH or one of their resellers.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Just remember that OVH is a completely unmanaged provider. If your offline, but they can still ping the server, they probably won't provide any additional help.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Great, did they give you any kind of reason as to why it happened and why it took forever to get fixed?

Knowing EIG, if they did give you a reason, it was probably one that blames you or your site.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ulterios View Post
    Great, did they give you any kind of reason as to why it happened and why it took forever to get fixed?

Knowing EIG, if they did give you a reason, it was probably one that blames you or your site.
    Nothing other than this status page they have, which basically just talks in circles.

https://status.asmallorange.com/

I'm going to give it a couple of days and then put in a ticket to ask about compensation. I figure they are probably swamped in tickets right now.

If they are going to offer any kind of compensation other than credit for more hosting with them, I'll collect that and then leave.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 117/0
    Given: 787/0
    Thanks
    Yes, definitely moving.

Looking at LiquidWeb, StableHost, and GeekStorage. I have never used LiquidWeb, but heard great things. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the other two.

The person who replied in the next message on your post (RDO Servers) is a good choice, I knew some guys here used his hosting and he supported me to solve hosting problems even I have problems with other web hosting companies ...David (RDO Servers) has got good support!

I would suggest and consider to use services from Moderators on this forum first, because if you have any problems you can report easily or have support better from them.

Other options are check out our Web Hosting Offers section.

Regards,

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Nothing other than this status page they have, which basically just talks in circles.

https://status.asmallorange.com/

I'm going to give it a couple of days and then put in a ticket to ask about compensation. I figure they are probably swamped in tickets right now.

If they are going to offer any kind of compensation other than credit for more hosting with them, I'll collect that and then leave.
    Wow, that's crazy. It looks like they said it was a hardware issue. What kind of hardware issue could take that many days to fix?

It sucks because if they do give you and other customers any compensation, it's probably only going to be credit for hosting. It's sad because what about the lost income that their customers lost by being down for that long? I know that they (or any hosting company) won't do anything about that, but I am sure some customers lost a lot of money being down for so long and are extremely mad.

What a way to end the year!

Good luck with the move.

Newer Threads

1. Hawker
    Hawker
    Replies: 2 | Views: 2573
    Last post by Hawker, 12-28-2015, 03:16 PM
  2. Hawker
    Hawker
    Replies: 5 | Views: 3248
    Last post by Hawker, 02-22-2016, 08:01 PM
  3. Maxoq