Do servers go out of style?

Harry P

I rarely hear about the term "server" stay relevant in web hosting industry or will it be phased out with something else?

I am asking because mostly people are using shared and VPS and the rise of cloud hosting is a plus. Standalone servers can become a thing of the past. What do you think on this matter?

Localnode

I'll stay with dedicated servers. More stable, as there's been reports of problems with many "cloud" providers.
There is a lot of confusion regarding the cloud. Some providers claim their platform is cloud - where as in fact it's just a VPS with the option to bill hourly.
Providers such as Digital Ocean, or Vultr are prime examples.

Servers will stay relevant for the foreseeable future. The hardware is always changing though. Before it was usually SATA / SAS mechanical drives, and nowadays it's more common to see SSD's in web hosting server environments. Software is another thing - CentOS is common in servers for web hosting, now a lot of providers are using CloudLinux.

SenseiSteve

I do not see dedicated servers being phased out in my lifetime. There are just too many legacy dedicated server solutions currently in production, that I don't believe will ever convert to cloud hosting.

bacloud

Many time people discuss when cloud change server's, but I believe it will never gonna happen.

ExonHost

Cloud is marketing term now. Servers will stay relevant for the foreseeable future. Cloud Term can affect regular VPS hosting market.

bacloud

bacloud
It definitely affects. Providers offer "Cloud" VPS, but it is not a real cloud based server. If server can be paid hourly and can increase resources anytime - they call it cloud. Bullshit. They all are in the same server and still share resources.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.