How to verify if a dedicated server is really dedicated?

lkovnih226

Some web hosting providers are offering a few dedicated server packages with good price and big discounts. I want to have a try for 1 month, but I am wondering is there a way to make sure my server is dedicated and not a VPS or Shared server. Are there any tools I can verify that my server is running on bare metal and that I am the only user?

dedica_manager

Run the command on the server:
Code:
dmidecode -t system
So you will know which manufacturer

laceibanet

the manufacturer being shown as a virtualization method will definitely mean you're on a vps. So if you run that on a dedicated server you should get the processor manufacturer

Adam Greer

Some web hosting providers are offering a few dedicated server packages with good price and big discounts. I want to have a try for 1 month, but I am wondering is there a way to make sure my server is dedicated and not a VPS or Shared server. Are there any tools I can verify that my server is running on bare metal and that I am the only user?
Hello. If you have a Linux server, you could try to run such command as for example lspci as root. If you see the output with a lot of words "Virtual", you are most likely on VPS (it could be virtual disk or so on). Also it is a good idea to issue such command as dmidecode -t system . Check especially the Manufacturer field.
And of course choose the reliable hoster.

hostslim

A good check to do as well is uname -a (checking the kernel) if you see something like stab.xxx or whatever virtualization Kernel then you know it's not a real dedicated server (if OPENVZ is used).

lspci reveals information as well, plus the other suggestions that were already made.

HM-Mike

You can use lspci or dmeicode to find out information regarding the base system, you will know from the results if it's real or not.

Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.