Webmaster Sun Login
Not a member yet? Sign up

How important is the domain a website uses?

• HOME
  • FORUMS
  • WHAT'S NEW
  • BLOGS
  • MARKETPLACE
  • ADVERTISING
  • SPECIAL OFFERS
  • WEB HOSTING
  • QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 13/0
    Thanks

How important is the domain a website uses?

I have a website that I am going to be starting and I have been looking for a domain name to buy for it. The problem that I am facing is that all the domains I can think of that I like are taken in the traditional extensions. I was thinking of using one of the newer extension that use words.

I was wondering how important the domain a website uses is, anyone have any advice?

I was also thinking about maybe using a "z" in place of an "s" at the end of the domain, will that be ok?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    .com are the most used
    but there are over 400 extensions
    at the end of the day it comes down to the type of site you run

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS-NET View Post
    at the end of the day it comes down to the type of site you run
    It would be for an ecommerce website.

Would one of the new extensions like .store, .site or .website be a good choice for an ecommerce website?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    recommend a .com would be better than .store .site or .website
    store, .site or .website are not that know to people

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 386/0
    Given: 564/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seller View Post
    I have a website that I am going to be starting and I have been looking for a domain name to buy for it. The problem that I am facing is that all the domains I can think of that I like are taken in the traditional extensions. I was thinking of using one of the newer extension that use words.
    Sometimes it is hard to find a .com that fits your needs and likes and I know this very well.

You can use one of the new extensions if it is appropriate for the website and what's on it but you just have to make sure that if you are advertising your website you make it clear what that extension is. I think that adding a "www" to the beginning of it can help many times because it makes it more clear to people who aren't familiar with the newer extensions.

Example: If you have a web hosting company called "Good Hosting" and your domain is "good.hosting" it might confuse people when they see it on a banner ad or something like that. They might just think you repeated the company name. If you go with "www.good.hosting" as what people see then they should better understand that it is a website address.

I was wondering how important the domain a website uses is, anyone have any advice?
    Personally I think that the domain is very important most of the time. It serves to identify you, your business or whatever.

I was also thinking about maybe using a "z" in place of an "s" at the end of the domain, will that be ok?
    I have seen a lot of people use a "z" in place of an "s" over the years and it can be ok sometimes but you have to be prepared to loose some of your traffic to the "s" version of the domain.

Example: If you had "www.hotcarz.website" you are likely to get a lot of people typing it in wrong and they would wind up going to "www.hotcars.website".

I know it can be hard to find a good domain in a .com a lot of the time so you just have to look at things from all angles and decide if you want to take a chance with one of the new extensions or using a "z" in place of an "s".

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 5/0
    Thanks
    I recommend you use the second choice. You can replace s with z, that's all fine.
    The extension should be .com as the extension is more important than domain name think

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I'd say a .com is the best choice, but most "regular" .coms are taken.
    Depending on the domain, if you replace s with z, you might end up driving traffic to the guy with "s", if people enter the address directly.

So, how about inventing a word, that nobody has yet registered?

Take a look at "google"... what a silly word and a strange name for a domain and a company... But the domain is incredibly valuable, isn't it?
    Before google, the most popular SE was Altavista, which I find a pretty cool name, but hardly anyone remembers Altavista today, and everybody knows google with its silly name.

Another option would be coming up with a combination of two or three words that sounds good and yet is unusual.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    agree it all comes down to marketing example walmart bought jet.com for 3 billion a online jet.com e-commerce giant you can make any name work and when you say you have a .com company people know what it is

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS-NET View Post
    recommend a .com would be better than .store .site or .website
    store, .site or .website are not that know to people
    Then what should I do if all the .com domains that will work are taken? Would a .net be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by ulterios View Post
    Personally I think that the domain is very important most of the time. It serves to identify you, your business or whatever.
    That's what I was thinking. I want people to be able to recognize the name and know the website it belongs to.

Quote Originally Posted by davebusiness86s View Post
    You can replace s with z, that's all fine. The extension should be .com as the extension is more important than domain name think
    Why do you think that the extension would be more important than the domain name?

Quote Originally Posted by AMBTL View Post
    So, how about inventing a word, that nobody has yet registered?
    I was thinking about doing that. Don't you think that if it was an invented name that people might not pay it any attention because they don't know the meaning?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 529/2
    Given: 28/1
    Thanks
    Do you plan on branding the website? I sure hope so. Stick with .com and select a domain that is EASY to tell someone the domain name. I found this cool site. It's words dot com. You should check it out. Now if it was wordZ.com it would be much more difficult to tell someone about it. Use common sense when selecting a domain name.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks

Hi!!

Domain names act as a backbone of a site.

.com extensions are most easy to get ranked and indexed, get a good start in google with respect to SEO point of view.

Other extensions are most likely to get very slowly indexed and as you are mentioning that it would be an e commerce site please find a suitable domain name for the site.

A good idea would be to use "Online" your product name ".com" OR "Online" your product name "store" ".com"

Thanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Whisonant View Post
    Do you plan on branding the website? I sure hope so. Stick with .com and select a domain that is EASY to tell someone the domain name. I found this cool site. It's words dot com.
    I was planning on brand building. What if there are just not .com's that will work that are available to register?

Quote Originally Posted by Web Expert View Post
    .com extensions are most easy to get ranked and indexed, get a good start in google with respect to SEO point of view.

Other extensions are most likely to get very slowly indexed
    Why, does Google give special preference treatment to .com domains? Maybe because it's been around so long?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I was planning on brand building. What if there are just not .com's that will work that are available to register?

Why, does Google give special preference treatment to .com domains? Maybe because it's been around so long?

Cant say anything about that. But it is the trend and yes it may be due to the fact you have noted. But .com are best.

Thanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    You need to start thinking like a true entrepreneur. There are plenty of .com domains that will work perfect for your purpose. Have you tried every possible combination? I bet not. Try adding any of these to the domain name you want.

secrets
    madeeasy
    surefire

I could go on and on. Just use your imagination and if you still can't find one, pay someone to find it for you.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Whisonant View Post
    You need to start thinking like a true entrepreneur. There are plenty of .com domains that will work perfect for your purpose. Have you tried every possible combination?
    Thanks Rob. I have tried adding many different things but I guess that I will just need to broaden my searches and find some other things to add.

I have found a couple that were available in a .net. Should I still stay away from those even if they have good words added and go for a .com or nothing else?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Thanks Rob. I have tried adding many different things but I guess that I will just need to broaden my searches and find some other things to add.

I have found a couple that were available in a .net. Should I still stay away from those even if they have good words added and go for a .com or nothing else?
    Stick with .com

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Thanks
    You are buildin ecommerce store? Then brilliant idea would be to reg .store / .shop / .online names. These are more attractive to young people while older tend to stay with .com extension .

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Thanks
    From my research, I found that a website featuring a generic domain name with an exact match to the product performed significantly better than an identical website featuring an alternative generic or non-generic domain. Having a domain name that matches your target keyword offers some key benefits, as your brand is important and your domain name is the foundation upon which your online brand will be built. It is how users will find, remember, share and identify your company online.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Thanks
    If you are building a brand name, then you should use some words that are short, catching, attractive and do not confuse your readers. If you are building a website to review a product, you can change "s" in "reviews" to "z" in "reviewz". It did not really matter in this case.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Thanks
    Most people usually like domains with a .com extension. But that doesn't mean that you cannot buy any other extensions. However, I personally don't like domains with modern extensions. The most used extensions are .com, .net and .org extensions. I would suggest you to choose any one of these.

If I had to build a website, I would choose any one extension from these three. It's true that sometimes we don't find our required key phrases available to be registered. Try changing your keywords, be creative. Hopefully you will find a creative name. But stick to these three extensions only.

However you can choose any extensions of your choice. In terms of SEO, it doesn't make any difference. You will still be able to get the same amount of SEO value on all other extensions. Using extensions is basically a personal choice. It doesn't make any change in SEO value of your domain.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/5
    Given: 8/0
    Thanks
    I am not going to recommend any typo which includes a ''z'' I can agree that a dot com would be first choice but you probably will not get what you want. Some gTLDs can work well as type in but buy them for search value. I have some with thousands of searches so not to be just overlooked. I feel the name is the most important part if your domain exactly describes your business then you will have a definite advantage over competitors I would go as far as paying premium for the right name.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks
    Domains with different TLDs have little SEO effects. Say for example, .co.uk domain will most likely rank higher in google.co.uk than google.com

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 3/0
    Thanks

When you build a website one of the first tasks you should take care of is choosing your domain name. Popular names sell very fast so it is important to deal with your domain name registration as soon as you decide a possible name. When trying to decide your new name make sure that it is connected to the nature of your website in some way so that people can easily associate your website with your chosen name and remember it easily.

It is possible for domain name registration to take place before you have a website, which is advisable. Many people buy their domain name from their web hosting company which is a lot easier as you can deal with everything at once. There are many different domain extensions such as dot com or dot net, all costing different amounts depending which extension you choose.

With many companies you can pay for extra services, such as privacy. The choice of domain name should be considered very carefully as it will be the backbone of your website. In a competitive sector, some of the best domain names will have gone. Choosing a name that is memorable and catchy will help to ensure return visitors to your website as they will remember the name of your website with ease.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/5
    Given: 8/0
    Thanks
    It would be for an ecommerce website

Would one of the new extensions like .store, .site or .website be a good choice for an ecommerce website?
    Yes but only if one word that exactly describes your business eg shoe dot store is a great name and the type will work well. Names like Newshoes dot shop would be a much lower quality name as a lot less would type in keyword "new". If you use a gTLD names you need to be getting the type in advantage for a generic name. If you like brands then make it a dot com but do not be afraid to keep buying generic names that describe your business as feeders.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I think you will rank a lot higher for a keyword in Google if the keyword is in the domain name. Those sites are always like #1 if you search exactly the keywords in the domain name.

Newer Threads

1. Nick@phonewagon
    zeedollar
    Replies: 8 | Views: 1590
    Last post by zeedollar, 07-10-2017, 11:07 PM
  2. Longkata
    Theviels
    Replies: 3 | Views: 1581
    Last post by Theviels, 01-03-2019, 08:54 PM
  3. Seller
    Unknown
    Replies: 12 | Views: 7391