What is difference between SEO and SMO?

Penako

Hi all,

What is difference between SEO and SMO?

I'm not obvious about 2 this terms so please explain for me.

Thank you

jessicahuis

SMO? Never heard of it? What does it mean? Search Mobile Optimalisation? I would first focus on the main SEO options... maybe when my company is bigger i would try SMO

kenzo22

Social media optimization (SMO) refers to the use of a number of social media outlets and communities to generate publicity to increase the awareness of a product, brand or event. - by Wikipedia

Not hard to find :p

In few words, SMO is SEO for social media ;)

joemathew

The common Similarities of SEO and SMO:
SEO :is the process of gaining traffic from free ,organic or natural listing on search engines.It includes the techniques like link building, directory submission etc.
SMO:It is the process of promoting your website on social media platforms.It includes techniques like social networking,social bookmarking,blogging etc.

Ocean Feather

SMO is social media optimisation and it can help you to promote your products, services by using Social networks like Facebook,Twitter whereas SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is beneficial for generating permanent traffic to your website.

linda0288

SEO stands for Search engine optimization used to search the ranks in search engines by keywords and phrases.SMO stands for Social Media Optimization where they are used in the business such as brands

johniemoffat

Social media optimization and search engine optimization are the meaning of SMO and SEO. SMO is focused on optimizing your website in social media sites like facebook and twitter. SEO means optimizing your site in search engines like google, yahoo, bing , baidu and frompo.

brad

SMO is related to social media optimization means bringing more traffic to a website through social network sits like face, google plus, twittert etc while SEO mean bringing traffic through backlinks.

Falconcarsuk

Hello,

As Far As , SMO stand For Social Media Optimization Which is Promote your Product Or services via Social Networking Site like Facebook, StumbleUpon,social bookmarking,blogging ,Etc.
and SEO stand For Search Engine Optimization Which Is Promote Your Product or Services Via Submission Like Directory Submission,Feed Submission,Social Bookmarking,Classified Submission , forum Posting ,Blog Commenting ,Blog Directory Submission, Article Submission, Press Release Submission, and so many method Of off page SEO.Still Now Social Media site More Impact internet marketing .

magenta901

That`s right! SMO is considered to be a part of SEO because using Social Media we can bring a lot of traffic to our website building links when posting the updates.

aratiseo

Social Media Optimization (SMO) is a way, which optimized the websites; therefore they would be freely associated with online community websites. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to be a helping hand for emerge your business from your contention and get more invitee who develop the visit into sales.

akashverma773

SEO is used for increase the traffic of the websites & SMO is used, by the help of SMO we can increases the traffic that means SEO work done by social media devices it's know as SMO.

BobBranson

According to me if you want to increase traffic you must need to concentrate on both Search engine optimization and Social media optimization. If you are going to leave Social media than you will loose real customers. Optimizing a website in Social media is social media optimization and add getting traffic through other online activities is search engine optimization.

HansenBoy

SEO is Search Engine Optimization this means that you are optimizing search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing. SMO is Social Media Optimization which is optimizing the social media like Facebook, Twitter or Google+.

aksel

aksel
Yes, you said right. Optimizing a website in search engines like Google, yahoo is called as search engine optimization and optimizing a website in social media is social media optimization.

BloodMaster

SEO & SMO both are quiet similar to promote websites but there is some difference between them. SEO techniques use to increase the traffic in your websites where SMO use to generate traffic from social networks like fb, twitter, linkedin etc., Few difference in brief below:

SEO- It is based on On Page Optimization, Results by search engine, come across via giving exposure, coding should be based in metadata of HTML tags to get rankings

SMO- It is based on Off Page Optimization, Results by social media, this is via impressive buzz, it is also based on HTML tags and the description should be catchy and tempt to view site.

PhilipAlcaraz

PhilipAlcaraz
Seems like you are very experienced guy in digital marketing so can you tell me the difference between on page SEO and off page SEO techniques? Thanks in advance!

BobBranson

BobBranson
As per my perception I can say on page SEO is related to languages like HTML,JAVA scripts and PHP as we have to infuse meta tags in that.
But I can say that off page techniques include blog commenting, forum posting and blog posting for such work you need skills like making links using BBcodes and HTML codes.

BloodMaster

BloodMaster
Ohhhhh Thanks man to point out my mistake...... And why not I surely answer you question.

On Page SEO is simply refers to the text and content on your web site pages. Basically editing your page and content. Meta Tag, Meta Title, Meta Description, Quality Content, Internal Links are few example of On Page SEO.

Off Page SEO can do off site to incraese your rankings is build up more links. More links will generally lead to better Google PageRank and better search engine ranking. SMO, Article Submission, Social Bookmarking, Forums, Article Submission, Blog Commenting are example for Off Page SEO.

Last edited:

JeffreyJacobs

SEO is among the most effective methods of improving the amount of traffic to your website, meaning more profit for your company. In this technique, different keywords are used to rank a web site larger in SERP while SMO refer to the method of raising the awareness of an item, manufacturer through promotion by using of social media, or social networking internet sites like Facebook, Google or Twitter but it's effect is not long-lasting as SEO.

MikeQ

SEO is done for the purpose of optimizing websites or web pages so that they would be searched in search engines. While SMO is used for the purpose of getting traffic from social media site.

SteveKaplan

I think SEO is broader term that includes all types of techniques like forum profiling,social n/w profiling,forum commenting,social bookmarking and other techniques but SMO is specific to social media sites for getting high traffic and high PR for the website.

sonam12

the process of ensuring that a website is easy to link to by utilizing the different social media sources including but not limited to, blogs, bookmarking websites and media sharing websites. There are a lot of similarities and differences between SEO & SMO. Because of this, and the idea that one cannot take over the role for the other, it is important to know when and why to use each optimization technique.
Some of the similarities are…
1. Linkability – If people dont have a good reason to link to you then they probably dont have a good “real” reason to visit your website either. Be careful though, linkability and linkbait are not the same thing. Some of the keys to linkability are: content, design and usability.
2. Good content – This almost does not need an individual category because part of linkability is the good content. But, the point needs to be stressed; you can have good content that does things besides giving people a good reason to link.
3. Pull marketing – Both SEO and SMO are way to attract people to a website without pushing a message on them, but instead showing them what value your website can bring to them.
Some of the differences are…
1. Channels – This is obvious but needs to be mentioned, SEO is about search engines, primarily the big 3, Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft (GYM). SMO is about the “new” social media sources that have crept up, including blogs, bookmarking websites, media sharing websites etc…

Shirley_Sharp

Great comment Sonam I like the way you put forward your thought about SEO and SMO. Keep it up!!!

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.