Benefits when moving from a Shared to a VPS hosting?

margarita

Hi webmasters,

Almost people said that we got more benefits when we moved from a Shared to a VPS hosting, but exactly what were the benefits?
Does anyone show me the reasons?

Hassan

You can have better security More flexibility and less downtime with vps.

Alex - A2Hosting
A VPS can also be less secure than a shared account if not managed properly. The defaults need to changed so the box is secure and only what is needed is open. A shared account should already be locked down but if you are going for VPS ensure it has full server management so you can ensure it is properly locked down and secured.

ElixantTechnology

A VPS is not too much unlike a Shared Hosting account. With a Shared Hosting account resources are divided among a large amount of users on one piece of hardware. If done correctly, Shared Hosting can be a very reliable and powerful means of hosting your website. A lot of this has to do with the way the software on the server is configured, as well as to do with the hardware (most importantly the RAM).

A VPS is quite similar. Instead of just having basic web hosting features, your hosting provider crams a bunch of "Virtual Machines" on the system allowing you to have more control over your space. The main benefit to getting a VPS would be that you are able to install your own software and configure it how you would like it to function.

Depending on the VPS provider, sometimes your VPS can end up being slower than Shared Hosting if not configured correctly.

TSOHost - Akin

Hi webmasters,

Almost people said that we got more benefits when we moved from a Shared to a VPS hosting, but exactly what were the benefits?
Does anyone show me the reasons?
Hi Margarita,

A VPS Hosting certainly does have many benefits over Shared Hosting but there are also a few drawbacks too.

In terms of performance, with a VPS you have dedicated resources as opposed to shared resources. In Shared Hosting you are sharing the resources of the servers with all other users on your 'node/cluster' and so if another user on the same Shared Hosting node/cluster as you is experiencing a DDoS attack or perhaps just performing an extremely CPU/RAM intensive process, your services will suffer as there will be less resources available for you and all other users. This is mitigated with a VPS as no other user can make use of your dedicated resources.

In terms of security a VPS is far superior as you effectively have your own "mini dedicated server" so you can lock down access as you wish. You can use custom ports for In addition to this, the files are physically stored on a specific HDD (usually with some sort of RAID) compared to Shared Hosting where the cluster-nature of the platform means your data is not necessarily stored on a specific server.

Following on from this a VPS allows far greater flexibility for example installing custom modules and amending settings that may not be able to be changed on Shared Hosting platforms due to the changes affecting all users. The setup, configuration and customization is entirely down to you.

In terms of reliability, generally VPS Hosting is very reliable and presuming the server is correctly configured and crucially not abused (like many Shared Hosting platforms are) there is no reason for you to have any downtime. However, as a VPS is similar to a single dedicated server, similar to a physical server there is no inbuilt resilience. This means that if the server goes down, it really is down and there will be nothing online compared to Shared Hosting platforms where there is usually some from of 'cluster setup' or inbuilt resilience. Naturally, this all depends on the hosting provider that you are looking at.

One thing I would mention is that a lot of people presume that moving from any shared hosting platform on to a small VPS offers them an instant performance boost. This is not the case at all. A VPS is there to be used for users that NEED that flexibility/security/isolation that can be offered. To get a performance gain you will need to ensure that the VPS chosen has enough resources to run your sites and handle the traffic that you expect.

margarita

margarita
Amazing for the information you gave me in the post, it's not only useful for me but also for more people caring about this.
Talking about DDoS attack, I'm seeing VPS providers they are offering this but I don't know I should use from where my website is hosted or try another service such as cloudfare, which one is better? please give me an advice.

TSOHost - Akin

TSOHost - Akin
Hi again,

No problem at all. With regards to the DDoS protection I am actually a fan of CloudFlare as this will physically remove the load from your VPS enabling it to stay online for longer whilst the attack is hopefully mitigated. Bear in mind that CloudFlare or other external services such as MaxCDN won't physically hide your IP address and as always adding an extra DNS service in front of your server effectively adds an additional point-of-failure in to your platform.

Nevertheless, CloudFlare and similar services make their money doing this full-time and I would personally recommend using them in combination with a good data centre for your website.

(I'm sure others will disagree!)

ElixantTechnology

DDoS Protection provided at the network-level by your hosting provider is a more reliable, powerful and suitable solution than thaat of which CloudFlare can ever offer you. CloudFlare protects your domain name specifically, and in the event that the attacker were to get the IP Address of the host node (which is very easy to do), they could attack your server directly, bypassing CloudFlare as a whole.

As a CloudFlare Certified Hosting Provider, I try not to rely on CloudFlare to protect the servers in which I host my customers (as an example). Instead, we utilize network level DDoS Mitigation at 10Gbps per IP Address on our network. This means that at any given time, any of our customers can be under a 10Gbps DDoS attack and none of our other customers would notice this. At the same time there can be numerous customers under a 10Gbps DDoS attaack, with the same outcome.

In the end, I would recommend that you select a provider who is providing you with DDoS Protection, rather than relying on CloudFlare to do so for you.

Amazing for the information you gave me in the post, it's not only useful for me but also for more people caring about this.
Talking about DDoS attack, I'm seeing VPS providers they are offering this but I don't know I should use from where my website is hosted or try another service such as cloudfare, which one is better? please give me an advice.

King-Servers

A VPS will offer you dedicated CPU resources just for your account and you will have root access to the server which will allow you to install 3rd party software or customize server as per your requirement

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.