How to get best configurations for MySQL my.cnf

harrygreen90

What is the best way to to get best configurations for MySQL my.cnf? I want to configure my.cnf best for my server but not sure which tools or ways to do this? any suggestions?

Rob Whisonant

Fire up phpmyadmin and click on the "Status" tab. Now look at the 2 pages under this tab.

1. All Status Variables. Look at the red values. This will show you where things are slowing down or having issues.

2. Advisor. This will show you recommendations on what to change.

It's best to get some traffic flowing to put some stress on the mysql server first, before reviewing these pages.

Check these pages over time to see if things change because of new scripts installed, more traffic etc.

Best answer
Harry,
One alternative way of testing your MySQL configuration is to test it with the MySQLTuner script. This script offers you the ability to see if there are specific pieces of the configuration that may give you issues with performance and where you could adjust those to increase that performance.
I've ran it on some of my websites and have come away with some decent information.

You can find that on GitHub: github.com/major/MySQLTuner-perl (note: I have no affiliation with the script, I just think it's a good script)

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.