Update post content or add new post, which way is better for SEO?

rozzski89

Hi there, one of my blog sites are wordpress blog, I used update content for it daily by posting articles each week. But I was wondering which way is better, update post content or add new post?
Please share your honest answers.

Nytshade

Adding new content is better, especially for seo. If you keep updating old posts then some of your blog followers will think you're not updating the blog with fresh content and stop following you. Most of them won't even realize it has been updated they'll think it's the same content.

So I would advise you to keep adding new content.

elcidofaguy

Definitely aim to add more content... The more content you have the more G will index and bring traffic to your site..

However if you have some really old posts then I would consider revising it a little with changing the post date or adding a sentence below the post date stating something like "Last Edited On XXX: "... as well as any changes to the content should things have changed since the original post if it has become outdated and not relevant...

A lot people tend not to read a post if the post date is somewhat old... Hence on some of my sites I've actually removed all dates from blog posts which have evergreen content...

Reactions: wms

SEOPub

Despite what many people will tell you, you could never update your site and still get and maintain great rankings.

It depends on your site topic. Is it something where there is a reason to constantly post new content or are you just doing it because you heard that was a good thing for SEO?

If I built a site about how to get rid of pests and different bugs, once the site content is complete and I have covered the major pests and insects, there would be little reason to update the site very often, and surely no need to post daily or even multiple times a week. It would still be a great site and cover its topic in total detail.

I would also make the argument that adding new posts regularly can actually hurt your rankings rather than help them, especially if you have a dynamic home page. Every time you make a new post, you are screwing up your site structure, internal linking, and probably weakening the whole site.

Big authority websites can get away with dynamic home pages because they have an ungodly amount of excellent links coming in to them. Good links will overcome 95% of SEO defects on a website. Nobody here has that kind of website.

If you visit a lot of internet marketing forums, just think about it. How often do you see people start new threads saying they add new posts to their site daily and their site is still not ranking OR the rankings are constantly bouncing around all over the place? Often times, it is BECAUSE they post so often that their rankings are not stable.

dandeedo

I would say you should maintain both. Google will not rank your 2 years back contents if they are not updated with the trends. On the other side, if your website doesn't have any new & fresh contents for 6 months your keywords rank will fall in Google search result.

kenmichaels

Adding new post to your site is the best for doing seo. Unique content is always important for the readers who are dialy visiting the sites.

jenniferwhite

Yes, fresh content is very impotent for seo but with that you need to do some activity like add proper meta data for post, target business or keywords, think about people how they will rich to your blog, rss posting, also when you post content then you need to check when Google indexed using cache:blog url, then you will get good result

Chelsea R. Minks

Yes i completely agree with you, addition of new content is must to incresase traffic on your site. Along with it keep revitalizing your old post also, it may add positive points to your post.

Older threads
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.