Top 10 Reasons Not to Use Google Analytics

hoangvu

I like Google Analytics. Really, I do. But sometimes it’s not the right tool for the job. Here are 10 reasons you may want to consider using an alternative website analytics package:

1. Google Gets All of Your Data. Personally, I dont mind that much, but for some companies, privacy is a big concern.

2. No Technical Support. The best you get from Google is a help forum or a referral to one of their Certified agencies (which are not free). With an Omniture or a Web Trends, you get toll-free support from experts.

3. You Only Get Four Conversion Goals (per profile). This is one of the big differences in my book. With
most analytics solutions, you can have way more conversions in your report suite. I’m surprised GA hasnt expanded this feature yet.

4. Advanced Reporting. Google Analytics is fine for the basics, but when you need to pull multiple advanced
reports on a consistent basis, you’ll need something a bit heavier than GA.

5. Cookie Window. Google Analytics’ max length for a cookie is six months. That’s still a ton of data they’re track-
ing for free. However, it may completely skew your numbers when you are tracking users over years of activity.

6. Advanced Segmentation. GA has added some segmentation, but it’s still nowhere near what you can do in an advanced analytics suite. When you want to see users who “are using Firefox, have come from California, visited at least three times in the last six weeks, purchased at least $500 in goods, and have watched four or more videos in your downloads section,” you need something more powerful than Google Analytics.

7. Industry Integration. Do you want to share cookies and integrate full-on reporting from your e-mail, your ad server, your survey solution, etc. with your analytics platform? You cant do that with Google Analytics.

8. Data Recording Methodology. With Google Analytics, the raw data comes in, passes through your filters (if you have any), and then gets written into the report suite. With other tools, the raw data can get written into a data warehouse and then hit your report suite (through your filters). This is a subtle difference, but it’s important to note—especially when you realize three months after the fact that you want to see the data in a new way. With GA, you’re stuck with the way the data is written. With other tools, you can go back to the raw stream and reanalyze.

9. Lack of Flexibility. There’s not much opportunity to make modifications to the system. That still makes
Google Analytics fine for 95% of the things you need to do, but the inability to customize it to perform that last 5% might one day become a real problem for your business.

10. So Many Other Little Reasons. There are too many other small reasons that GA isnt the right solution for full-on web analytics. If all you need are page views, visitors, some basic conversions, etc., then GA is fine. But if you are doing serious business on the web, there are so many other little bells and whistles you get with a robust suite that certainly justify the expense. Do a demo with Omniture or Web Trends and you’ll see the difference immediately.

Last edited:

steveschmidt85

I think Google analytics is best tool available in the market right now. If you are counting reasons not to use google analytic than can you give us better tool than analytics.

Inquestor

The OP Is absolutely right, I could not have said that better myself. A great alternative to Google Analytics is Piwik.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Latest Blog ArticlesMost Viewed Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.